You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-17 20:19:51

Komodo

CPU Bus damage?

A while back my mobo fried randomly, causing my CPU to be damaged. The situation is now this:  the chip (AthlonXP 3000+) runs at 1050 mhz; the bios says it's auto-setting the BUS to 100 . If I change the BUS to 200 in the bios, I have to power off and on my pc 3 times (every time, without fail) before it'll boot - checking that the BUS is still 200 when it _does_ boot reveals that it is set correctly, but there is no apparent speed increase when monitoring in gkrellm (although if the bus is damaged, since gkrellm communicates with the bios I assume, this isn't surprising, neh?).

My question is this: what would you do in this situation? Is there anything that can be done?

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#2 2006-05-17 20:35:30

iBertus

Re: CPU Bus damage?

Sadly enough, there probably isn't anything you can do to fix that sort of problem. I suppose you could think of it as a chance to upgrade (I'm trying). Also, those Skt. A chips are getting cheaper.

#3 2006-05-17 22:51:52

Komodo

iBertus wrote:

Sadly enough, there probably isn't anything you can do to fix that sort of problem. I suppose you could think of it as a chance to upgrade (I'm trying). Also, those Skt. A chips are getting cheaper.

Heh, sadly finances are not spectacular around this time (end of the academic year... uni binge drinking ^_^ ), so that's not currently an option.. you're right though, I definitely will upgrade when I can afford to.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#4 2006-05-22 20:43:02

Bysshe

The bios has this setting inside it:

"Save Optimized Defaults"

What that does is query the system components and set them for their intended speed.

If this isn't what you're doing to set the bus speed, then you're doing it wrong.  However, it thoeretically should work to set it manually.  IMO, you should test the RAM, because the motherboard is typically smart enough to find the most stable setting by default (if the RAM is in that bad a shape).

But, depending on the board, the capacitors on the motherboard could be bad, which would also elicit memtest86 errors.

#5 2006-05-23 03:53:35

user

Why not fix the mb?

with good luck, only you have to replace a few condenser on the mobo.

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

Board footer