You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-09 05:25:03

Torignit

Updated firefox-esr-privacy to 45.3.0-1, now with crashes.

Hi, I had a rocky road getting the firefox-esr-privacy 45.3.0-1 package to build successfully, since it had been three months since my last update, but after updating GCC, adding mozilla-1245076-1.patch and harfbuzz-1.1.3.patch to the PKGBUILD (before all the other patches, is that ok?), and restarting my system, it did build and run.

However, now it has this tendency to crash (with "segmentation fault (core dumped)") whenever I load specific pages, or when I try loading too many pages at once, or sometimes apparently just when it feels like it. The problem is exacerbated by attempting to restore a session, even if tabs are not set to load until selected. Examples of pages which have resulted in a crash every time; a medium forum page, another one, and more than any three different Youtube pages loading at a single time. Most other pages, like this one, only result in crashes sporadically.

There's also an unexpected CPU spike before each crash; normally Firefox never uses more than one core on my system, and now it tries to use two.

All the searches I've tried so far have either been far too general (like for all the many other versions of Firefox), or only get a few scattered, barely-related results. I don't even know everything that would need to be downgraded to go back to the previous version.

Apologies if I'm missing some obvious detail; I've lost sleep fixing other issues from the update, and it's getting hard to come up with ideas.

Help? Suggestions?

#2 2016-08-09 07:42:02

Torignit

Re: Updated firefox-esr-privacy to 45.3.0-1, now with crashes.

The problem has mysteriously advanced to crashing 4-5 seconds after running. Don't even need to do anything else. I'll look and listen for a few more days, then downgrade Firefox and everything that it depends on.

Last edited by Torignit (2016-08-09 07:43:19)

#3 2016-08-09 14:31:41

ewaller
Administrator

Torignit wrote:

There's also an unexpected CPU spike before each crash; normally Firefox never uses more than one core on my system, and now it tries to use two.

Firefox 47 has done a few things, including using multiple cores.   Are you sure you are running 45?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-08-10 02:44:32

Torignit

The build says 45.3.0, pacman says 45.3.0, last time I ran it said 45.3.0, and the internet says that's the version that was released Aug 02 with "stability fixes". Which doesn't really sound like enabling multiple cores but that might have happened indirectly.

Update; wiping all my settings and running in safe mode reduces the crashes to only happening when opening multiple script-heavy tabs. So it's really looking like the crash only happens when it feels like reaching for a second core for whatever reason.
(Going without NoScript and VimFx makes browsing insecure and frustrating, respectively, but if I need images I don't need to carefully download them with elinks.)

5DayLaterEdit: I found the coredump, and it turns out to be identical to the one for firefox in this thread. Doesn't really help, but since the last thing in the stack was "libpthread.so.0", that's slight support for the theory that it's something to do with multithreading.
Sadly, multithreading is not something I can just disable.

Edit2: Another instance of the same stack trace: this Thunderbird bug report.

Last edited by Torignit (2016-08-13 20:42:05)

Board footer