You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-11 20:12:02

nomorewindows

Xorg server: xf86EnableIOports

I started to put another fresh installation on a hard drive because another hard drive was having a problem. That one went through ok.
Then I tried to put another fresh installation on another hard drive, and X doesn't want to work.
I noticed that modesetting installs itself with X.  So I take every driver out except X, and X continuously keeps trying to start but modesetting is not the right driver for it.
But then if I have the intel driver, it'll at least show up with slim.  I can also get X to start under root, but not any other users.
I have updated all installations, noticing that the same errors come up regarding X, but one  from earlier this week works, but the other one from later this week won't.  I don't what blew up on a fresh installation.  Swapping out hard drives, the earlier one still works, and the later won't on the same machine. 

/dev/fb0: Permission denied.

I think if I remove the fbdev I get rid of that error.

But then xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL 

Backing out to the previous xf86-video-intel driver doesn't seem to get it either.

--------------------------------------
In the process I ended up hosing my installation, and starting again but don't know if it was today's kernel update, but it's working now ...

Last edited by nomorewindows (2016-08-12 00:32:30)

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#2 2016-08-11 20:40:57

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Xorg server: xf86EnableIOports

Please edit your thread title blah blah blah (I shouldn't have to type this for someone with ~3K posts)....

Is this a machine with just an Intel card? If you start X with just the native modesetting (and remove the conf file as per the wiki) what is printed to the log (paste the entire thing)?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer