You are not logged in.

#326 2016-07-28 12:13:00

addictedtoflames

Re: qutebrowser - A keyboard-driven, vim-like browser based on PyQt5

Just found this browser a few days ago and I absolutely love it. Does the browser store a history of the commands I have given it? It would be nice to be able to replay the last command via a keybinding like how '.' works in vim and to be able to scroll back through a list of :commands to make editing multiple settings in the same categories quicker.

#327 2016-07-28 12:14:24

The Compiler
Website

addictedtoflames wrote:

Just found this browser a few days ago and I absolutely love it. Does the browser store a history of the commands I have given it? It would be nice to be able to replay the last command via a keybinding like how '.' works in vim and to be able to scroll back through a list of :commands to make editing multiple settings in the same categories quicker.

You can use . for exactly that in v0.8.x, and you can use Ctrl-p and Ctrl-n to navigate through command history in the commandline.

>>> from __future__ import braces
  File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: not a chance

#328 2016-07-28 12:22:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The Compiler wrote:

Ctrl-p and Ctrl-n to navigate through command history in the commandline.

@addictedtoflames, these are also easily bound to other keys in keys.conf.  I've replaced the Ctrl-p/Ctrl-n bindings with just "up" and "down" cursor keys.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#329 2016-07-28 12:26:58

addictedtoflames

Thanks for the reply. I should have known to always check for updates before asking questions tongue

#330 2016-08-03 13:51:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

TheCompiler, I ran into a potential (minor cosmetic) bug.  I just built the current git version (r9203.fa7f995) though I don't have reason to suspect this is new as I just also decided to adjust my statusbar-padding values.  I previously had statusbar-padding = 2,2,2,2 but I wanted to add a little more padding on the bottom, but no matter what value I put in for the second number, padding is added to both the top and bottom of the status bar.  I've found the results are identical whether I increase the first or second number (e.g. 12,2,2,2 looks the same as 2,12,2,2).  This leads me to believe that either the larger of the two values is used for both the top and bottom padding, or the padding may be applied properly to the statusbar, but the text is vertically centered regardless of the padding.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#331 2016-08-03 22:02:12

The Compiler
Website

Trilby wrote:

TheCompiler, I ran into a potential (minor cosmetic) bug.  I just built the current git version (r9203.fa7f995) though I don't have reason to suspect this is new as I just also decided to adjust my statusbar-padding values.  I previously had statusbar-padding = 2,2,2,2 but I wanted to add a little more padding on the bottom, but no matter what value I put in for the second number, padding is added to both the top and bottom of the status bar.  I've found the results are identical whether I increase the first or second number (e.g. 12,2,2,2 looks the same as 2,12,2,2).  This leads me to believe that either the larger of the two values is used for both the top and bottom padding, or the padding may be applied properly to the statusbar, but the text is vertically centered regardless of the padding.

Indeed - I opened #1759 - thanks!

File "<stdin>", line 1

#332 2016-08-08 07:27:00

from_by

Hello,
Is it possible to import certificate (p12) to qutebrowser?

Sorry, english is not my native language...

#333 2016-08-08 07:57:33

The Compiler
Website

from_by wrote:

Hello,
Is it possible to import certificate (p12) to qutebrowser?

Currently (with QtWebKit), qutebrowser just uses OpenSSL and your system's certificate store, so you'd need to import it there. I've never done that before though.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#334 2016-08-16 12:50:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

The Compiler wrote:
Trilby wrote:

At the moment I can't get hulu video working...

WideVine should work with Qt 5.7 if it's installed ...

Just following up on this to confirm.  I didn't find much time to tinker with this lately, but I believe Qt 5.7 was pushed to the main repos in the intervening time, and now Hulu works fine too - except there seem to be browser settings for disallowing websites to make a fullscreen window (I've seen this on youtube videos for some time too).  I've not found the relevant qutebrowser setting yet to allow this.  If anyone knows it off hand, please share.  But this is certainly not a pressing question and is almost certainly just my lack of going through the documentation looking for this yet.

#335 2016-08-17 10:18:14

The Compiler
Website

Trilby wrote:
The Compiler wrote:
Trilby wrote:

At the moment I can't get hulu video working...

WideVine should work with Qt 5.7 if it's installed ...

Just following up on this to confirm.  I didn't find much time to tinker with this lately, but I believe Qt 5.7 was pushed to the main repos in the intervening time, and now Hulu works fine too - except there seem to be browser settings for disallowing websites to make a fullscreen window (I've seen this on youtube videos for some time too).  I've not found the relevant qutebrowser setting yet to allow this.  If anyone knows it off hand, please share.  But this is certainly not a pressing question and is almost certainly just my lack of going through the documentation looking for this yet.

It's not implemented yet wink

File "<stdin>", line 1

#336 2016-08-27 14:24:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

More widevine curiosity:  I'm hoping to ditch chromium completely, I only have it installed for streaming video sites like netflix and amazon prime video (no longer hulu, they dropped their free content).

I can play these in qutebrowser with the webengine backend as long as widevine is installed.  But I thought it was odd that widevine (at least chromium-widevine) dependend on chromium.  I rebuild a widevine package by just removing chromium from the dependencies, but it doesn't work with qutebrowser then.  I reinstalled chromium (no change to the widevine package) and then video works again in qutebrowser.

So for the moment, I need chromium installed to watch netflix/amazon videos in qutebrowser.  Perhaps we need a qt5-widevine or or webengine-widevine or something, but I'm not (certainly not yet) qualified to put together such a thing.

#337 2016-08-27 14:27:57

ewaller
Administrator

Trilby wrote:

I'm hoping to ditch chromium completely, I only have it installed for streaming video sites like netflix and amazon prime video (no longer hulu, they dropped their free content).

As opposed to that Netflix and Amazon Prime free content? hmm  Check out some of the channels on Plex for your lost Hulu capability

Last edited by ewaller (2016-08-27 14:28:31)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#338 2016-08-27 14:29:42

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Netflix I find (just barely) worth paying for.  Amazon is effectively free.  I got prime for shipping (which pays for itself dozens of times over) long before I even knew they had video - so the video is a free bonus with something I've already purchased.

#339 2016-08-27 14:33:46

ewaller
Administrator

I confess, I cut the cord to go net only over a year ago and don't miss a thing.  The only thing I do pay for is Hulu.  No Netflix. The wife is in the same boat as you with Amazon prime.  Redbox up at the corner store is our go-to movie solution.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#340 2016-09-28 19:10:58

F34R

I'm just now in Gentoo but some image element not work properly.
http://i.imgur.com/qlRVcSC.png

#341 2016-09-29 04:38:31

The Compiler
Website

F34R wrote:

I'm just now in Gentoo but some image element not work properly.

I can't really help you with Gentoo-specific issues - I'm going to guess you compiled Qt/QtWebKit without support for some image format.

File "<stdin>", line 1

#342 2016-10-05 00:00:38

frank604

We all know @The Compiler is working hard on the overhaul move to QTWebengine.  We all know that not all features are implemented yet.  However, I've been receiving some great tips in #qutebrowser, when using the webengine backend, that I thought would be best shared here.  Perhaps others can build upon it and show their tricks.  Sorry I don't remember who showed me these tips.

Download
Although download is not supported, we can key bind to wget/curl.
Edit your keys.conf:

hint all spawn wget -P /path/to/Downloads/ {hint-url}
     <shift-d>

Private mode
Since private mode is not implemented, one user suggested firejail

firejail --seccomp --private qutebrowser --backend webegine

This was still launching in the same instance, which I did not want.  So it was recommended to:

firejail --seccomp --private qutebrowser --backend webegine --temp-basedir

Not as great as native private mode though but works.

Links not being followed when clicked
Need to install the debug patched version of qt web engine.  Precompiled binaries from qutebrowser repo.
need to also export QUTE_QTBUG54419_PATCHED=1

Last edited by frank604 (2016-10-05 00:07:16)

#343 2016-10-10 15:20:13

skanky

I've just started getting qutebrowser freezing on me (on a different machine), a few seconds after start up. I can do some stuff then it suddenly becomes unresponsive and has to be killed.

It first happened, about an hour ago, after I accidentally let my laptop run out of power and shut itself down. This may be relevant, but it may also be a red herring and it may be the reboot that triggered the issue after an update - though I wouldn't necessarily want to bet on either. There's nothing in the direct dependencies that appears to have been updated, that I can see.

After the first hang I thought it was something maybe left in an odd state so I tried (with restarts of the browser between each) clearing the cache and clearing the sessions. So both have been recreated from scratch and I've rebooted again. Same result.

Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas?

EDIT/UPDATE:

Okay, it seems to only happen on one (so far) website: www.meto.gov.uk
I was testing uisng that website as it's been in my session for months - was working fine before the reboot - and opens no problem in qutebrowser-git on another machine. The git install has not been updated for some time. I might try and switch to the git package on the other machine.

I don't want to mess up anyone else's sessions. Any idea how I can debug what's making it hang on that site?

Last edited by skanky (2016-10-10 15:45:29)

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#344 2016-10-10 15:57:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

FWIW, that site loads fine here on qutebrowser-git built on 23 Aug.

EDIT: however, I just tried with qutebrowser 0.8.2-1 from the repos and also cannot replicate the problem, nor do I have a problem with a fresh build of the git version.

That site does seem to be completely littered with content drawn from sites on common adblock/hostblock lists - perhaps settings for these are relevant.

Last edited by Trilby (2016-10-10 16:07:49)

#345 2016-10-10 16:52:39

skanky

Many thanks for testing it for me. After your post, I gave it some further thought and it occurred to me that several hours earlier I had changed the user-agent (for another site), so I changed it back and it's now working again. For the record I can't remember exactly which ua caused the issue, but it was one of the Mac-OS ones (I think it might have been the Safari one). I generally avoid those agents, so haven't seen this before.

I have privoxy running as an ad blocker, so most stuff gets stripped out. Last time I saw it on someone else's computer, it did only have one/two adverts on it, though. It's irritating enough that a government agency has to use *any* ads, but that's a subject we shouldn't get into on these forums. wink

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#346 2016-10-14 08:50:44

zuglufttier

frank604 wrote:

We all know @The Compiler is working hard on the overhaul move to QTWebengine.  We all know that not all features are implemented yet.  However, I've been receiving some great tips in #qutebrowser, when using the webengine backend, that I thought would be best shared here.

Thanks for doing this wink

Qutebrowser is really pretty close to becoming my permanent browser instead of firefox in all its incarnations (which I use since 14 years). Some more privacy settings would be nice though...

Is there someone here who uses something like privoxy to mimick the features of addons like privacy badger, https everywhere and the like?

#347 2016-10-14 22:58:29

NoSuck
Website

ProTip:  Setting [tabs]position to "right" or "left" may open up screen real estate.

Some more privacy settings would be nice though...

Do you have any examples?

Last edited by NoSuck (2016-10-14 23:07:51)

#348 2016-10-16 12:20:55

zuglufttier

There would be examples here: https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

#349 2016-10-17 04:45:37

The Compiler
Website

zuglufttier wrote:

There would be examples here: https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

FWIW the default host blocking lists already block various known-bad trackers. I agree having something more sophisticated like privacy badger would be nice, but unfortunately that'll be quite some effort - either someone would need to port it once there's a Python plugin API, or it might work with some limited WebExtensions-support in the future (but that's still quite speculative...)

File "<stdin>", line 1

#350 2016-10-21 07:55:52

eDio

Hi. Tried to install qutebrowser recently.

Unfortunately, can't be installed on my machine due to PGP signature verification failure.

signature from "Ambrevar <ambrevar@gmail.com>" is unknown trust

I tried updating keys in archlinux-keyring, however, it didn't help.

I'd manually trust the key, but I'm suspicious about the fact that few self-signed keys been added by Ambrevar recently.

Is it considered safe to trust the key? Do you experience the same issue?

Board footer