You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-10 16:17:39

VirtualSmile

Toshiba Chromebook 2 (BayTrail) Sound + Hardware Acceleration Issues

Hello!

Chromebook model: Toshiba Chromebook 2 CB35-B3340 (SWANKY) (Bay Trail)

I'm having issues with getting audio (speakers + headphones) to work. I've previously booted Ubuntu and Elementary OS and was able to get audio working with the help of this guide. However, that was almost a year ago and there have been a lot of kernel upgrades since then. Currently, if I run the linux kernel (4.6.4-1), it does not detect my audio card (byt-max98090) and only detects the Intel HDA PCM. If I downgrade to linux-lts, it detects my card, but gives me this error on boot:

byt-max98090 byt-max98090: ASoC: CPU DAI baytrail-pcm-audio not registered
byt-max98090 byt-max98090: snd_soc_register_card failed -517

This happens even after I apply the fix above, which includes getting the original copy of "asound.state" from ChromeOS and placing it in /var/lib/alsa/. I have read multiple threads and people are able to get it working on Ubuntu 16.04, so I believe it may not be an issue with having an updated kernel. I also found this post here and tried to do what is suggested but to no success. I read in the comments that someone had it working on "Arch LTS kernel with asoundrc and pulse audio". I tried creating a "asoundrc" file with the same contents as the original "asound.state" file and it had no effect. Does anyone have any idea as to what I can do do fix my audio? Even if it's just the headphones. I'm more than willing to test things. Also, is it normal for it to output:

alsa: command not found

even after I've installed alsa-utils and pulseaudio?

Finally, I was wondering if there are any browsers that support H.264 hardware acceleration/decoding for VIDEO (i.e YouTube)? I've tried configuring both FireFox and Chrome but to no success - it will accelerate the windows and rendering, but not video. It is fairly hard to watch YouTube videos at even 720p/30fps without my CPU hitting 80-90% usage x.x

Thank you everyone, I appreciate any input and suggestions! If you need any more information, please request :3

Last edited by VirtualSmile (2016-08-10 16:22:17)

#2 2016-08-20 12:04:49

limaunion

Re: Toshiba Chromebook 2 (BayTrail) Sound + Hardware Acceleration Issues

Probaly this thread should be move to 'Kernel & Hardware'

I'm having the same issue, no sound with newer kernels >=4.4. The 4.1 kernel seems to be the best one for this Chromebook but it's old and from time to time I get an error with the filesytem (bdi-block not registered). I'm currently running 4.7, everything works but not the sound, any ideas?
TIA!

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 1 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xd0914000 irq 265

$ cat /proc/asound/devices 
  2: [ 1]   : control
  3: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
  4: [ 1- 7]: digital audio playback
  5: [ 1- 2]: hardware dependent
 33:        : timer

Last edited by limaunion (2016-08-20 12:05:51)

#3 2016-08-20 21:54:52

limaunion

Re: Toshiba Chromebook 2 (BayTrail) Sound + Hardware Acceleration Issues

Found the bug, seems that it's still unsolved by the kernel developers: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/48936

Board footer