You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-19 12:18:49

Foryah

Can't use Yousician

I'm trying to install Yousician on Arch and for some reason I can't use it. I don't know if anybody in the Arch community is using this app, but here's what I tried and failed :

1. Download the launcher from here
2. Run it, get the updates, and then get an error page that is saying "Your Linux installation is missing features that are required to launch Yousician. Find out how to fix this" and a link to this page.
3. I read through the page and it looks like I get the following information : "To be able to run Yousician on Linux, you need to make sure the needed library is installed. The library required to run Yousician is Clang 3.8.0."
4. Since there are no option for Arch, I have to go here and build Clang from source.
5. I first get LLVM 3.8, build the thing, install it.

➜  ~  llvm-config --version

6. I then get Clang 3.8, build the thing, install it

➜  ~  clang -v             
clang version 3.8.0 (tags/RELEASE_380/final)
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

7. I run Yousician and get the exact same error...

If anyone has managed to fix this, I could really use some help. I have no idea what else to try...

Last edited by Foryah (2016-08-19 12:19:22)

#2 2016-08-20 16:51:15

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: Can't use Yousician

1. installing software on AL outside of pacman is a BAD idea, try to uninstall the clang you build.

2. Archlinux has clang 3.8.1 in repos, install that one.
If yousician doesn't work with clang 3.8.1 (released on 11 July 2016 ), check with yousician dev when they'll support that version (or the soon to come llvm 3.9).

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2016-08-20 17:05:06

Foryah

Hehe, that is the first thing I tried, installing 3.8.1 using pacman, but it doesn't work... then I followed their instructions and installed clang 3.8 which right now is a pretty hard to remove since make uninstall is not working smile

Last edited by Foryah (2016-08-20 17:05:37)

#4 2016-08-20 18:55:33

Roken

I can't help with the errors. but YouSician works just fine here. However (and this may put you off), if you are using it in conjunction with an android device (phone/tablet) it doesn't sync where you are up to, so you can't just follow on.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#5 2016-08-20 23:41:28

Foryah

Really ? It works ? What clang version are you using ?

I use it with android, it sucks if I can't keep them in sync sad

#6 2016-08-21 11:59:24

Roken

I have clang 3.8.1 - but I follow testing.

Ryzen 5900X 12 core/24 thread - RTX 3090 FE 24 Gb, Asus Prime B450 Plus, 32Gb Corsair DDR4, Cooler Master N300 chassis, 5 HD (1 NvME PCI, 4SSD) + 1 x optical.
Linux user #545703

#7 2016-09-10 09:17:04

bramgn

Hi Foryah,

While I was searching for a solution myself, I ran across your post, but since I managed to get it working, I thought i'd give you a heads up. While I didn't compile clang-llvm from source, I did get the same error telling me that my Linux installation is missing a required library.

So, when I ran strace on "~/Yousician Launcher/Yousican.app/Yousician", I found out it actually can't find the c-compiler to compile its own run-time binaries, which I assume is the reason it throws that error message, even though I copied the extracted files to /usr/local directory.

What I had to do in order to make it work on Fedora, was to simply create the file /etc/ld.so.conf.d/libc.conf containing the following:

/usr/local/lib

and then update the linker cache by running ldconfig as root.

Since you compiled from source, I would recommend checking the output of

ldconfig -p

It should display the necessary c-libraries you installed.

#8 2016-09-12 18:05:58

Foryah

Hey bramgn,

I tried to run strace on it, but I'm too noob to know what to do with that output smile

strace -v -o calls.txt -e open,stat,access ./Yousician\ Launcher

Any tips for what to look for in the calls.txt ?

Last edited by Foryah (2016-09-12 18:14:03)

#9 2016-09-12 20:02:30

bramgn

Hi Foryah,

I see you're trying to run strace on the launcher, but i recommend to run it on the actual executable that sits in the Yousician.app directory.

For example, if you installed Yousician in a folder in your home directory, you can run strace like so:

strace -v -o calls.txt -e open Yousician/Yousician.app/Yousician

By the way, running the executable directly instead of the intended launcher will not actually work to play the game, but it will tell us why it can't start. Once you managed to solve that, you can start Yousician normally by running the launcher.

Open calls.txt and scroll to the end, you will likely see lines like:

open("/home/username/Yousician/Yousician.app/Yousician_Data/Managed/System.dll.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/Yousician/Yousician.app/Yousician_Data/Managed/System.dll.so.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/Yousician/Yousician.app/Yousician_Data/Managed/mscorlib.dll.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/Yousician/Yousician.app/Yousician_Data/Managed/mscorlib.dll.so.la", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

In my case i had to scroll up a few pages until these errors start appearing, like:

open("/lib64/../lib/tls/x86_64/libc++abi.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/lib64/../lib/tls/libc++abi.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/lib64/../lib/x86_64/libc++abi.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/lib64/../lib/libc++abi.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/lib64/tls/libc++abi.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

This told me that the c-compiler couldn't be found.

#10 2016-09-12 22:03:57

Foryah

I got a bunch of ENOENT in the Yousician folder. The only non Yousician errors are :

open("/home/username/.XCompose", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/.mono/config", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/.mono/assemblies/mscorlib/mscorlib.config", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/.drirc", O_RDONLY)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/tls/i965_dri.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/.drirc", O_RDONLY)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/.Xdefaults", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/.Xdefaults-VadeS", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/.Xdefaults", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/.Xdefaults-VadeS", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/lib/gconv/gconv-modules.cache", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/.mono/assemblies/System.Core/System.Core.config", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/home/username/.mono/assemblies/System/System.config", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

This ones looks particularly interesting :

open("/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/tls/i965_dri.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

Last edited by Foryah (2016-09-12 22:05:02)

#11 2016-09-12 23:43:36

bramgn

I checked my strace output with yours, and i'm basically getting the same errors, so i don't think they're critical.

Also i got:

open("/usr/lib64/dri/tls/i965_dri.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)

But the next line shows:

open("/usr/lib64/dri/i965_dri.so", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 9

For good measure, could you post the output of ldconfig -p  and check the strace log for c++ mentions? I got:

ldconfig -p | grep c++
	libstdc++.so.6 (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libstdc++.so.6
	libstdc++.so.6 (libc6) => /lib/libstdc++.so.6
	libc++abi.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/local/lib/libc++abi.so.1
	libc++abi.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/local/lib/libc++abi.so
	libc++.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/local/lib/libc++.so.1
	libc++.so.1 (libc6,x86-64) => /lib64/libc++.so.1
grep c++ calls.txt 
open("/lib64/libstdc++.so.6", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3
open("/usr/local/lib/libc++.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 4
open("/usr/local/lib/../lib/tls/x86_64/libc++abi.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/local/lib/../lib/tls/libc++abi.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/local/lib/../lib/x86_64/libc++abi.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/local/lib/../lib/libc++abi.so.1", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 4

I'll try to install Arch tomorrow and see how far i'll get.

#12 2016-09-13 11:11:09

Foryah

➜  ~  ldconfig -p | grep c++
	libxmlrpc++.so.8 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libxmlrpc++.so.8
	libxmlrpc++.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libxmlrpc++.so
	libstdc++.so.6 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
	libstdc++.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6
	libstdc++.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/libstdc++.so
	libstdc++.so (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so

➜  ~  grep c++ calls.txt 
        open("/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6", O_RDONLY|O_CLOEXEC) = 3

Hehe, you don't have to install Arch just to help me smile

#13 2016-09-14 21:35:59

bramgn

Well, no luck here. Compiling llvm-clang took ages on a virtual machine, and in the end i couldn't get Yousician running, either.

Board footer