You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-21 20:51:14

TheEdgeOfRage

dd arch image while downloading with torrent

I'm using qbittorrent for downloading and was wondering if I could dd the image onto my USB while it's still downloading. I set the option to download the file sequentially and it seems to me that dd goes sequentially as well, so I guess it should work. I know of course that the torrent always has to be in the lead against dd, but I think that my 30mbit connection is faster than my usb2.0 drive.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, first time I'm actually posting something. Thank you for your understanding.

#2 2016-08-21 21:55:50

Lone_Wolf

Re: dd arch image while downloading with torrent

I think that my 30mbit connection is faster than my usb2.0 drive.

USB2 has a theoretical max bus speed of 480 Mbit/s , i do think a fast USB2 drive will run ahead of the torrent.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2016-08-21 22:13:10

frostschutz

Re: dd arch image while downloading with torrent

If you find a torrent download program that prints downloaded data to stdout you can just redirect that > to the USB. It's probably easier with a good old HTTP download instead of torrent.

Getting a program to write out in the random order received should work too, but I think most torrent clients don't accept block devices as targets.

Seriously though, just download the file, and once you have the complete file and verified it's checksum, then put it onto the USB. Unless you are in a special situation (rasperry pi with no other local storage?) there is no point not going through a file.

Last edited by frostschutz (2016-08-21 22:13:24)

Board footer