You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-21 05:56:12

kamocat

Play song directly from Picard [Solved]

I'm currently sorting a music library using MusicBrainz's Picard.

It's working well, except for the "Play File" feature. When I click that button, Picard opens a new instance with just that file, and that's it.

Currently, my workaround is to open the containing folder and play the file myself. However, I hoped there might be an easy fix to make this less tedious.

I didn't see anything in the settings.
I didn't find anything with a google search or by searching the archlinux forums.

I thought it might just expect an environmental variable, like it does for the browser. (See example)

However, I haven't found anything saying what that might be.

How do I make this "Play FIle" button work?

Last edited by kamocat (2016-08-21 23:33:31)

#2 2016-08-21 13:44:22

Rasi
Website

Re: Play song directly from Picard [Solved]

Picard will open it with xdg-open. so make sure to have the mimetype associated with a proper player

You can do this in many filemanagers. In Nautilus for example you rightclick a mp3 > properties and in the "open with" tab you select your player and click "Set Default"

Last edited by Rasi (2016-08-21 13:46:34)

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#3 2016-08-21 23:33:13

kamocat

Re: Play song directly from Picard [Solved]

Thanks, that's just what I needed to know.

My filemanagers (emelFM2 and Xfe) don't appear to use XDG.
I did a little research, and found I could determine the MIME type of a file with 'xdg-mime query filetype'.

I fixed the default application for mp3 with 'xdg-mime default vlc.desktop audio/mpeg', and I'm going to do something similar for wav and wma.

Board footer