You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-17 14:50:29

TheLamerLinux

I don't know what's going on but Yaourt is not searching in AUR

Hello,

So forgive me if I miss something because this is my first time install Arch as the "Arch Way" I use to used Architect Linux to install Arch Linux. I was wanting to install a program called "Image Writter" when I type  "yaourt image" it didn't show up so I tried Google Chrome because I know Google Chrome is in the AUR. I type "yaourt google" (to search it) I didn't see it. I know how to install Yaourt but I don't know what I did wrong here is the way I install Yaourt.

1. Open the terminal and type "sudo mousepad /etc/pacman.conf"

2. I go all the way down till I see,
[multilib]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
and I uncomment it out

3. Then under it I type and I even copy and paste it to make sure I spelled everything correct,
[archlinuxfr]
SigLevel = Never
Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

4. Finally I click "File, Save, Close" and type in the Terminal "sudo pacman -Syu yaourt"

So what did I do wrong where that Yaourt is not searching the AUR because I go though every time I use Architect Linux to get Yaourt working. Thank You!

#2 2016-08-17 15:15:48

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: I don't know what's going on but Yaourt is not searching in AUR

Please do not use yaourt - at least until you know how to use the AUR properly.  Also most definitely never use archlinux.fr: that will break your system.

Further there is absolutely no reason to add multilib to use the AUR.

Please read the AUR wiki page.  Once you know how to use git clone and makepkg, then you can look into using an AUR helper if you want.  At that point I'd strongly suggest you review the table at the bottom of the aur helper wiki page (I use cower myself).

EDIT: sorry, this wasn't really a direct answer to the question you actually asked, but frankly, I think giving a direct answer to that question as it stands would be a disservice to you.  Further I have no idea why yaourt is not working for you today, it's hard to keep track of all the things that can go wrong with it or because of it.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-08-17 18:04:24

TheLamerLinux

Trilby wrote:

Please do not use yaourt - at least until you know how to use the AUR properly.  Also most definitely never use archlinux.fr: that will break your system.

Further there is absolutely no reason to add multilib to use the AUR.

Please read the AUR wiki page.  Once you know how to use git clone and makepkg, then you can look into using an AUR helper if you want.  At that point I'd strongly suggest you review the table at the bottom of the aur helper wiki page (I use cower myself).

EDIT: sorry, this wasn't really a direct answer to the question you actually asked, but frankly, I think giving a direct answer to that question as it stands would be a disservice to you.  Further I have no idea why yaourt is not working for you today, it's hard to keep track of all the things that can go wrong with it or because of it.

Alright Thank You for answering. I'm so use to using Yaourt and I'll do that way it's just something a little different.

#4 2016-08-17 21:39:01

eschwartz
Fellow

Say rather, that if yaourt was properly installed and you knew what you were doing, then you would not have these problems. Because yaourt when properly installed actually does work.

(Some might argue that it is badly designed, or lacks the features they consider important, or they don't like the authors, or they prefer something else... yaourt gets a lot of sometimes-deserved hate. But that is completely irrelevant, because it definitely isn't broken enough to fail the way you describe. wink)

Perhaps the archlinuxfr repository of doom is lagging behind and has a really out of date version from before the AUR RPC interface changed? At the time, yaourt broke and you needed the version from git (which worked fine).
It would be funny and sad (as in pathetic) and also kind of typical for the archlinuxfr repository to have not updated their own software for a really long time. But that is the reputation that leads people to say... NEVER use the archlinuxfr repository.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#5 2016-08-18 12:31:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I agree that yaourt sometimes gets undeserved griping, sometimes I dish it out.  But I do stand by the fact that it is completely wrong for the OP.  I don't think the present error is directly a failing of yaourt, but rather due to the OP not really understanding what is going on.  I do, however, believe that yaourt makes it very easy for users to have no idea what is going on, to the point that I'd argue yaourt can even encourage ignorance.

If users who understand the AUR chose to use yaourt, they can go for it.  But yaourt is definitely the wrong tool for the OP and other new arch users.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2016-08-18 13:14:48

eschwartz
Fellow

Oh, definitely.
Using the archlinuxfr repository rather than installing yaourt oneself is enough to tell me that.

I have always thought that the only real reason yaourt encourages ignorance is by providing a binary repository, thus circumventing the requirement to understand the AUR enough to install at least an AUR helper from scratch.
Other than that, the automation itself is not really any more obfuscatory than the automation provided by e.g. pacaur.

I think anyone who can at least figure out how to install yaourt by hand will know enough about what is going on to not run into more trouble down the line.
And telling them not to use archlinuxfr is sufficient to force them to install it by hand. (If they are going to install a binary package of an AUR helper, they can just use that to automatically install the more-often-recommended pacaur, and not understand how, and get into just as much trouble.)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#7 2016-08-18 15:36:43

ewaller
Administrator

Moving to AUR issues

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2016-08-23 08:48:11

alex.theoto

3. Then under it I type and I even copy and paste it to make sure I spelled everything correct,
[archlinuxfr]
SigLevel = Never
Server = http://repo.archlinux.fr/$arch

I don't know if this is valid.
Go to

/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

and uncomment the France mirrors.
As for yaourt, I'll say better learn to use makepkg and pacman -U

EDIT: After re-reading, Eschwartz mentioned this part.

Last edited by alex.theoto (2016-08-23 09:59:23)

#9 2016-08-23 10:58:41

Awebb

alex.theoto wrote:

As for yaourt, I'll say better learn to use makepkg and pacman -U

Or the makepkg switch, that does what pacman -U would do.

Board footer