You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-29 13:42:03

Post Install Setting Up of KDE 3.2

I find the launch process is unsteady and slow. When I go into the terminal screen it is evident that the process can not identify my hostname and makes frequent attempts to restart the process(s).

I have looked at KDE help pages and I did reboot after installing KDE so that my profiles could be assimilated. I am running kernel26. I have declared 'fam' in my rc.conf daemons list. Everything works but the process can take upto 3 minutes, when my machine is quite capable of doing it in within 20 secs on Mandrake 10.

It is clear that there are settings that I have not set up. Has anyone got any ideas?

#2 2004-02-29 19:05:06

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Post Install Setting Up of KDE 3.2

Is localhost and your host name in /etc/hosts?

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-02-29 21:07:02

I entered an additional line iin /etc/hosts, repeating the same lo-type IP.

Also I noticed that I had earlier deleted the 'lo' from INTERFACES=(lo eth0) in /etc/rc.conf. I have since experimented and re-insertion does make a huge difference.

This is a bit subtle, because it seems the ip address -- whilst not used for connecting on line --  is nonetheless referenced by KDE when it compiles its running settings.

As you can see, I am a bit of a newbie. But have I got this about right?

#4 2004-03-01 01:42:17

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah, you've got it right.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer