You are not logged in.

#5476 2016-08-21 04:47:06

ahmetcgl

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hello Arch Linux Users
10 years ago, as I heard of Linux, I wanted to give it a try.
I found a Knoppix live cd and installed it after I tried it live. I was amazed by it...
I downloaded lots of linux systems, could install most  of them and I took an online survey to find the best match.
I found FreeInspire linux (a discontinued one) and I started my linux journey. After 2 years, I switched to Ubuntu.
I am happy to be able to switch to Arch now and I find it a bit hard but I still enjoy it.
I cannot help myself each time I install windows, I reinstall linux.
I remember that I did not even download Arch after a short internet review back in time when I was trying linuxes.
I hope this will be my harbour and I hope not to go back to Ubuntu.
Greetings from Brussels...

Last edited by ahmetcgl (2016-08-21 13:03:13)

#5477 2016-08-21 20:36:52

rich_c

Hello!

After about 8 hours spread out over three days -- Friday night, Saturday night, and this afternoon -- and a lot of reading and not too much cursing, I have set up a basic installation of ArchLinux with the Xfce4 desktop environment.  I can honestly say that, despite having been using Linux for 8 years or so -- began with Ubuntu, and then moved to Linux Mint a few years later.  This was a larger step outside my "comfort zone" than I thought.  Still, I and my laptop are no worse for the wear.

I started the install on Friday night by just installing the base package.  When trying to advance through the install process wasn't working out well, I restarted the install process from the beginning and added base-devel and btrfs-prog.  Everything went smooth with the exception of setting up my wireless internet, but that was solved once I properly set up NetworkManager.  Pretty much everything was done by following the Beginners' Guide.  For the wireless set up, I'll admit to cheating a little bit... I used gloriouseggroll's video.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Linux by using Arch.  This should prove interesting...

Rich

#5478 2016-08-25 11:20:32

nzusr

>echo Hello World
Hello World
>_

getting used to arch after playing with the system for about 2 mnths now, settled for both awesome and xfce4 window managers on arch.
I started learning linux while studying for exams(we used win98SE) and just battled on through hair-pulling sessions trying various
distros and windowmanagers learning mostly to "never make that mistake again!" when I broke something.
I remember buzzing out when I found a distro with a lucent_driver  -  "good times" lol
Used a few Unix based distros and have found arch very comfortable to work with, having the freedom to build your own in this unix-like
enviroment is a big thumbs up from me. This is the linux I have been missing.

"Great work People"

>_

#5479 2016-08-27 22:57:53

CAPSLOCKENGAGED

Hi, I have been using primarily OS X and Ubuntu for the past few years.  I recently made a new build and chose Arch for the learning experience of getting more under-the-hood and because I've always weirdly enjoyed configuring everything myself.  I primarily work in NLP and HPC, and hopefully I can make some useful contributions to the Arch community as I learn.

#5480 2016-08-28 08:14:11

stellarestuary

I've been aware of Linux for over 10 years but never got into it until a few days ago. I initially distro-jumped between ubuntu, ChaletOS, Linux Mint, and then lubuntu. These distros were good, but each one had their own problems. ubuntu was slow, ChaletOS had graphical issues and Wine did not work well on it, Linux Mint somewhat glitches with my monitor, and lubuntu had compatibility issues with programs I use frequently.

I was expecting archlinux to be no different from the other distros...except it had no desktop environment. I was really tempted to distro jump to ubuntu MATE, but I felt there was something special about archlinux, and I heard more praise about it than other distros I've tried. Once I gathered my resolve, I eventually found a YouTube video that helped me install KDE Plasma 5 with the help of the wiki and KDE's official website, while also figuring out why I got stuck in certain parts of the installation process.

After awhile, KDE Plasma 5 was installed...except it had no apps! Thankfully, it didn't take me too long to learn how to use the package manager, so I got the apps I needed. If you ask me though, I should have gotten Konsole first, which would have made the process MUCH easier. What's left for me now is to customize my desktop environment theme and figure out how to get AUR working so I can play games.

But why switch to archlinux? Or linux in general?

I've grown frustrated at Microsoft. What happened a few days ago became the last straw. I found out shortly after factory-resetting my laptop that they stopped Windows 7 and 8 users from downloading updates as a way to get them to migrate to Windows 10. Prior to that, I found out there were issues with the Anniversary Update Windows 10 had that stopped most webcams from working. Having taken Windows 10 spying into account, I was so upset at Microsoft that I lost a substantial amount of faith for PCs. Knowing that Linux is free, and that Windows 7 extended support would end in three years (where does the time go?), not only did I uninstall Windows 7, I even erased the Recovery Partition.

I regretted it at first, I wanted to get replacement disks so I could go back. But as time went on, that feeling slipped out of my mind...then I got archlinux, and installed KDE last night; everything changed for me. Everything I lost that Microsoft took away from (in regards to things such as Windows Update or OS security), I regained thanks to Linux. Then with archlinux, I have truly been given total control.

Looking back on the past few days, I'm shocked that I even kept up in the first place. Heck, I even figured out to answer that weird question when registering for archlinux's forums.

It's been only two days since I installed archlinux, but for me, a lot has happened.

Laptop: HP G72-b66US Notebook PC
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02503091

#5481 2016-08-28 13:37:19

Texbrew

@stellarestuary

I regretted it at first, I wanted to get replacement disks so I could go back. But as time went on, that feeling slipped out of my mind...

If by replacement disks you mean spare hard drives, I actually did that so that I could keep Windows intact, fully isolated from any possibility of accidental damage. In large part, this was my reaction to FUD, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_unc … _and_doubt I used to swap drives just to update Windows, but I don't bother anymore. This is not Windows bashing. I just hated worrying about malware and infections. For over 5 years I am a happy linux user, and have been a happy Arch Linux newbie for about a year and a half.

BTW, here's my Unofficial Welcome to the forum to you and all the recent new members. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

tex

#5482 2016-08-29 14:01:01

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

CAPSLOCKENGAGED

I've seen a lot of Internet in my day, and I can't remember the last time seeing a new username made me LOL. big_smile

#5483 2016-08-29 16:11:53

dotmavriq

Hello everybody!
A little bit about myself

INTP, Front End Developer trying to dabble into everything programming that I see fit, musician, cook.

I went to technical college, it completely drained me from everything that made me enjoy computers.
Along came windows 7 and hogged memory from my computer, in blind rage i installed ubuntu.. a whole lot of tinkering and new found love for functional minimalism drove me to Arch Linux.

I've been using it on and off for about 3 years without ever digging deep into my system which is a shame, I guess life happens when linux don't in some cases.
But now I'm back with a vengeance!

I intern at a web development firm, I am a part of another IT startup focused on the same thing.. I sometimes help halfway crooked people with everything internet in exchange for things that fit the lifestyle of a poor maverick.

I'm doing my darndest to get into vim and bashscripts.. I'm a fairly social guy for an introvert, so talk to me if you feel like that would be a good idea.

I use i3-wm and absolutely love it, I'm a TUI/CLI/headless aficionado whenever I feel like I don't have to see a GUI. Whenever I do I rep Numix circle, Arc-Dark GTK theme and fantasque mono sans font.. Also a huge fan of gruvbox, check it out! https://github.com/morhetz/gruvbox

Last edited by dotmavriq (2016-08-29 16:14:53)

“I think Microsoft named .Net so it wouldn’t show up in a Unix directory listing.”
- Oktal

#5484 2016-08-29 18:34:51

Texbrew

I'm doing my darndest to get into vim and bashscripts..
...so talk to me if you feel like that would be a good idea.

Personal preference here, I spend more time using nano, never used vim much. As to bash scripting, please use them for good, not evil. If I used smilies, you'd see one here.

Anyway, welcome aboard!

tex

#5485 2016-08-29 19:43:44

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

dotmavriq wrote:

I'm doing my darndest to get into vim and bashscripts.. I'm a fairly social guy for an introvert, so talk to me if you feel like that would be a good idea.

Vim is all I use at home and at work (and on my phone...), but it is not the best for everyone and it's definitely not necessary to be a serious Arch Linux user. Use what works for you. smile

#5486 2016-08-29 23:42:59

Texbrew

drcouzelis wrote:

Welcome. smile

Vim is all I use at home and at work (and on my phone...), but it is not the best for everyone and it's definitely not necessary to be a serious Arch Linux user. Use what works for you. smile

Apologies, my last post may seem a bit snarky to some - certainly not my intention. Nano is my preference simply because it seemed easier to learn with its key-press options displayed at the bottom of the screen. Path of least resistance, I guess.

The bit about bash scripting was meant to be tongue-in-cheek...

@drcouzelis, have you posted somewhere about how you use vim on your phone? Interesting... may come in handy when I finally have to say goodbye to my dumb phone.

tex

#5487 2016-08-30 09:12:38

lopanrs

Hello Arch users, first post here.
Migrating from Vector Linux to Arch, everything up and running in a few hours just looking in the (amazing) wiki and forum.
The future (systemd) made me search another distro, as slack will never use it, and Arch seems the right choice. Working community, good software repo, customisable, lighweight and fast.
I hope to contribute somehow and i'll keep an eye in the forum.
Thanks for this solid and trustworthy distro. But i have to say...i miss the rc.d roll
sorry the bad english.

Desktop: Manjaro Linux x64 - Windows 10 x64
Laptop: Lenovo Chromebook 100e Gen3

#5488 2016-08-30 13:26:18

drcouzelis
Website

Texbrew wrote:

@drcouzelis, have you posted somewhere about how you use vim on your phone? Interesting... may come in handy when I finally have to say goodbye to my dumb phone.

My very first smart phone was the Nokia N900, which runs the Maemo OS (essentially GNU / Linux). It came unlocked with a terminal emulator and GNU utilities, including Vim. Sadly, one morning I woke up and my phone didn't. sad

My second smart phone was the Jolla Mobile, which runs the Sailfish OS (essentially GNU / Linux). It came unlocked with a terminal emulator and GNU utulities, including Vim. Sadly, my mobile service provider is cutting 2G support in January 2017, and that's all that is support by the Jolla hardware in the U.S. (I imported it). sad sad

Last Friday, I finally bought my first Android phone, a Moto E (2nd generation "surnia", U.S. Cellular variant). It was $30 and was dead simple to unlock, root, and install CyanogenMod on. I've been extremely pleased with my choice of phone.

...But...

This is my first real experience with Android, and it's been pretty painful. sad There's so much tapping just to do simple things. The Google Play store is teeming with sewage. The Android directory structure is extremely foreign to me. Every application looks different. Almost every application tries to run ads (but I installed an ad blocker). It doesn't come with a built in SSH server like my previous two phones, which made wireless file transfers and logging it dead simple. It's exhausting.

I haven't done any real work on it yet, so I haven't yet figured out what I'll do about a text editor. I do try to stick to the f-droid application repository, which hosts only free and open source software. I like the "Hacker's Keyboard" that's hosted there, and will probably use that when working.

I need a web site for, like, "new Android users who are coming from GNU / Linux", or something.

So, I guess this is an official "hello" from me to Android. tongue

#5489 2016-08-30 13:52:12

ewaller
Administrator

drcouzelis, As I read that, I was wondering if you had heard of F-Droid; then you dropped it on me at the end wink   I think you will find adb is your friend when it comes to moving files back and forth.  Also, it provides a shell.  One can also install Bash one can use with adb shell; I highly recommended it over the default shell

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5490 2016-08-30 17:06:43

Texbrew

@drcouzelis and @ewaller, now my curiosity is really piqued. I know I wil be spending some time with StartPage "googling" linux on smart phones.

Apologies for my unintended thread-jack...

tex

#5491 2016-08-31 03:47:06

rameshj28787

Hello everyone,

I am a Java developer and Windows users with basic knowledge of Unix and deep desire to switch completely to Linux, develop apps and contribute to the community.  I moved to Arch Linux because it is the most configurable distro with so much manuals and community help.  So far I have partitioned my harddrive for both Arch+Gnome and Windows10.  But eventually, I hope to remove Windows and switch completely to Linux.

At this point I have more questions than answers.  But eventually I hope to be better and more useful.

So, Hello all!  & See you all around!

- RJ

#5492 2016-08-31 09:39:18

terrick

Hello, I installed Arch a couple weeks ago and have finally configured everything the way I want it for now. There hasn't been anything yet I was unable to sort out without the help of the arch wiki and some internet searching, so I'd also like to thank everyone who has worked on the OS and wiki for providing such a great resource to learn Linux a bit more in depth.

#5493 2016-08-31 14:18:25

mrunion
Website

@rameshj28787: Just some food for though -- If you really want to move completely to Linux, then stop dual booting. Force yourself to use only Linux, then you will make the switch much faster!

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#5494 2016-09-01 08:40:13

FunkIsJazz

Hello,

I've been using the distro for ~5 months on my home computer but I just now made an account here.

Out of all the distros I've tried I've ended up hating Arch the least, it has very little bullshit I have to deal with. I would easily venture as far as to say that you can replace the word "distros" with "OSs" and the previous statement remains just as valid.

The repos and package managers are also great, pacman + official repo are a killer combo, I can't name a package manager + stable&useful repositories pair that holds a candle to it. However I've ended up installing most obscure libraries and programs I need from the community repos, which has some broken shit in it, but that's to be expected, however the diversity and sheer size is absolutely wonderful.

I'm still unsure as to how ti decided that something is "user repo" vs "official" (e.g. why a half-arsed library like openCV gets official treatment whilst the wonderful, fast, stable, non-dependency hungry, generic and well-documented dlib is relegated to user repos)

I'm still "bad at linux", so I plan to hang around here and ask stupid/basic questions.

Anyway, keep on keeping on guys, great distro, I will be imensly saddened when development takes a turn I disagree with completely and I end up hating it and switching to ubuntu or some other evil-corporate os that caters to the stupid and simple minded.

Cheers,
-G

Last edited by FunkIsJazz (2016-09-01 08:41:53)

#5495 2016-09-01 18:16:21

Lanrik

Hello. Where i can download arch linux installer with 4.7.2 kernel?

#5496 2016-09-01 18:44:26

Awebb

Lanrik wrote:

Here: https://www.archlinux.org/download/

You didn't ask when, though.

#5497 2016-09-01 19:48:52

drcouzelis
Website

Welcome. smile

FunkIsJazz wrote:

Out of all the distros I've tried I've ended up hating Arch the least

Now there's a new one for the "Why I choose Arch Linux" thread. big_smile

#5498 2016-09-01 21:04:48

Texbrew

Now there's a new one for the "Why I choose Arch Linux" thread. big_smile

I, too, did a double take at that statement, but kept silent until now.

@FunkIsJazz, Welcome to the forum - I'm still not the official welcome wagon, just an Arch newbie.

If you stick with Arch, maybe you'll learn not to hate it at all.

tex

#5499 2016-09-01 21:48:11

Steef435
Website

Lanrik wrote:

Also using one of the new AMD graphics cards? I was literally flabbergasted when the Fedora 24 installer hiccuped on that. Strangely enough, the Fedora 22 I tried earlier worked like a charm (chose vesa drivers correctly I assume). If you don't want to wait for an official iso (which I think will come at some point), you can try modifying the iso (probably chroot into it and update, then remake iso): https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Re … nstall_ISO

EDIT: Welcome everybody!

Last edited by Steef435 (2016-09-01 21:49:35)

#5500 2016-09-02 00:11:59

CAPSLOCKENGAGED

drcouzelis wrote:

Welcome. smile

CAPSLOCKENGAGED

I've seen a lot of Internet in my day, and I can't remember the last time seeing a new username made me LOL. big_smile

Thank you, it comes from my old Warlock's name back in the WoW days smile

Board footer