You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-09 18:39:15

Zaza

Sound through HDMI ( Nvidia GPU ) is not working anymore

Ok, so last time it worked it was kernel 4.2 ( I think ). But now, regardless of distro ( as long as it has newer kernel ) sound through HDMI doesn't work.

Anyone else has this problem?

#2 2016-08-09 20:29:36

jordz

Re: Sound through HDMI ( Nvidia GPU ) is not working anymore

I recently switched back to a nvidia gpu (1060) and use the binary driver. I noticed some difficulties using HDMI audio with multiple screens.
If you do use more screens first try to enable only one screen and if that works try playing with mirror and extend screen in nvidia-settings or gnome settings.

I use gnome with pulseaudio.

#3 2016-08-10 05:56:18

addicted

i'm with no audio through my gtx 960 HDMI since i switched to linux.(in windows audio through HDMI was fine.)
So i thought it was nvidia driver issue.(tried all possible fix to get HDMI with no success)

Last edited by addicted (2016-08-10 05:56:54)

#4 2016-08-10 11:08:29

Zaza

addicted wrote:

i'm with no audio through my gtx 960 HDMI since i switched to linux.(in windows audio through HDMI was fine.)
So i thought it was nvidia driver issue.(tried all possible fix to get HDMI with no success)

I tried other kernel versions and it seems that the problem started in kernel 4.4

#5 2016-08-10 11:11:49

Zaza

jordz wrote:

I recently switched back to a nvidia gpu (1060) and use the binary driver. I noticed some difficulties using HDMI audio with multiple screens.
If you do use more screens first try to enable only one screen and if that works try playing with mirror and extend screen in nvidia-settings or gnome settings.

I use gnome with pulseaudio.

Thanks for advice. I don't use multiple screens but it still didn't work. With alsa, if i press f6 for other audio devices, for HDA Nvidia appears only s/pdif ( 2 of them ) and can't change the volume. In pulseaudio I have a bar for HDA Nvidia but it does nothing with the sound volume.

#6 2016-08-10 11:23:17

V1del
Forum Moderator

Have you switched to the correct HDMI port/profile that plays sound? What does

pacmd list-cards
pacmd list-sinks

give you

#7 2016-08-12 22:41:51

colinkeenan
Website

For me, although I had installed an nvidia card, most of the time, I was using the built-in hdmi and sound from intel HD graphics. I had installed bumblebee to switch to nvidia just for games, but sound was still through intel. Then, for quite a while, it would take a long time for hdmi sound to come online after reboot. Today, all of a sudden, hdmi sound failed completely through intel and I had errors in the log related to that. In addition, graphics was getting a little flaky.

So, I uninstalled bumblebee and plugged the hdmi into the nvidia card, and sound works again.

(Originally, the reason I was sticking with intel most of the time was that I could stop video tearing with intel, but not with nvidia. Now that intel stopped working for sound, I finally figured out how to stop video tearing on nvidia.)

#8 2016-08-25 15:09:25

Zaza

It was a bug in alsamixer and pavucontrol, not displaying the correct HDMI outputs. ( my monitor having more than one HDMI ).

Board footer