You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-28 16:47:05

Ensayia

Making Packages NOT for the AUR

I have a small program I've written in Python / GTK 3 and I want to package it for convenience sake. I've done packaging for the AUR before (I have an openbox theme there) but I don't need to pull from an external source or download anything, I just want to have the source all included.

I was looking at a number of official packages in my /var/cache/pacman directory for .PKGBUILD reference, and I notice they all just have a directory structure and plain .PKGBUILD with no build of package functions and no .SRCINFO file.  Is there an alrernate and possible simpler way to build packages that I do not plan on sharing on the AUR?

EDIT: I should probably include that the package simply needs to put a few files in location. No compiling or any scriptwork needs take place at all.

Last edited by Ensayia (2016-08-28 16:50:21)

#2 2016-08-28 16:49:15

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Making Packages NOT for the AUR

makepkg makes packages.

A package file ends in pkg.tar.xz and contains everything needed and can be installed directly (with pacman -U).

The AUR does not contain packages, it containst PKGBUILD scripts.  The main repos contain packages.  But the process is identical:
PKGBUILD -> makepkg -> packagename-ver.pkg.tar.xz

Just in the AUR the recipe is shared, in the repos, the resulting package is shared.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2016-08-28 16:54:43

Ensayia

I think I understand. So, I still need to create a .PKGBUILD with the proper build() instructions for placing the files in the correct locations for the package to install properly?

Last edited by Ensayia (2016-08-28 16:55:02)

#4 2016-08-28 17:13:57

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Pretty much.  But it is not a .PKGBUILD, it is just PKGBUILD.  And you don't need a build function, it is common to have one but not required.  You do need a package function to put things where they need to be.  Just go through all the steps just like you were adding it to the AUR, just don't upload it to the AUR.  Then from the directory with the PKGBUILD, just run `makepkg`.  Afterwords you'd have a file ending in .pkg.tar.xz, this is exactly like the files in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer