You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-09 21:13:16

calef13

Dm-crypt plain mode with yubikey

Hi,

I want to encrypt the entire disk on a dell xps 13 9350. I don't care about plausible deniability, but plain mode sounds attractive given its resistance to disk corruption due to a lack of headers. As I understand it, this would also allow me to use trim mode, which I absolutely want to do to help extend the life of the laptop's ssd.

From the wiki, it appears I would have to use at least one USB stick with a keyfile with plain mode. I wanted to use my yubikey as a second factor to log in, and an extra usb stick in addition to that is something I want to avoid.

My questions:

1. Is it possible to implement plain mode with just a passphrase and a yubikey? Can someone link me to a guide for this? I couldn't find anything on the wiki or Google.
2. Is it possible to enable trim mode using dm-crypt/LUKS? This would seem to be the simpler option, providing I can use my yubikey with LUKS.
3. Is there any way I can enable full disk encryption using dm-crypt after I have installed Arch Linux?

Thanks in advance,

-calef13

#2 2016-08-29 09:35:59

ky
Website

Re: Dm-crypt plain mode with yubikey

Did you end up finding the answer on your own? I'm in a similar boat, where i would love to use my Yubikey Nano to encrypt the disk, but I want to see someone else who has done it first, before i Destroy all my stuff big_smile

Board footer