You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-30 07:11:30

Matt4242

Old Macbook pro: Xorg broken after update

I updated archlinux on an old macbook pro which hadn't been updated for a very long time (I know this shouldn't happen, but still..). Now Xorg does not work anymore.

The laptop has dual intel/ati graphics. If I install xf86-video-intel and/or xf86-video-ati, X fails with "No screens found". If I add xf86-video-fbdev and/or xf86-video-mesa, starting X hangs the computer (I cannot even switch to another virtual console).

I have to set the nomodeset kernel parameter or the computer hangs at startup.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling xorg-server and a few drivers, but no luck.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Matt

#2 2016-08-31 09:54:08

Matt4242

Re: Old Macbook pro: Xorg broken after update

The core of the problem seems that this machine won't boot without the nomodeset kernel parameter, but xf86-video-intel requires modesetting.

Most of the doc about this on the internet is several years old and many things are not relevant any more.

I tried to install the proprietary catalyst driver (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMD_Catalyst); aticonfig seems happy to configure the server for me, but when I startx, I only get a black screen and the machine gets totally unresponsive. I can ssh into it, but it seems impossible to kill the X server. The only way to get my screen back is to reboot the machine.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log contains no error and only a few warnings:

[   411.465] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/".
[   411.466] (WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/".
[   411.494] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
[   411.913] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for fglrx
[   412.209] (WW) fglrx: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:0@1:0:1) found

lspci says that PCI 1:0:1 is the HDMI audio device so I don't think this is the problem.

I'm desperate! I've spent quite a few hours trying to get X working again on that machine and I'm running out of ideas.

*Please*, can someone help me?

Matt

#3 2016-09-05 17:09:38

Matt4242

Well I'm giving up. None of the many suggestions I found on diverse websites work for me. It seems some people made it work, but I'm not sure anybody really knows why it works and how to fix it if it breaks again. I think it is the first time I give up on a Linux install, but the macbook is going back on its shelf to gather some nice dust coating.

#4 2016-09-09 14:04:08

Lone_Wolf

lspci says that PCI 1:0:1 is the HDMI audio device so I don't think this is the problem.

It may have to do with the problem, AMD HDMI audio support tends to be included with the video driver.

On some systems HDMI audio appears to use the same pci-bus ID as the videocard even though lspci lists them as separate devices..

That message could mean your catalyst version is too new and doesn't support your card correctly , do you remember which version you had ?

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2016-09-09 14:04:27)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2016-09-13 08:58:32

Matt4242

Lone_Wolf wrote:

That message could mean your catalyst version is too new and doesn't support your card correctly , do you remember which version you had ?

Unfortunately I don't. This machine hadn't been updated in something like 2 years.

It had been quite a pain to install and as it seems, it would be even more difficult to re-install/maintain now.

As I said, I don't think it's worth the trouble, I'm giving up.

But thanks for your help anyway.

Matt

Board footer