You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-23 13:27:11

coolguy21

error when creating zulucrypt container

I get the following error when trying to create a container in zulucrypt any clues?

"Could not open cryptographic back end to generate random data".

#2 2016-08-24 19:19:57

mhogomchungu

Re: error when creating zulucrypt container

Hi,main developer of zuluCrypt here.

Could you open the terminal and run the following command and post its output

zuluCrypt-cli --test

#3 2016-08-30 09:44:18

coolguy21

mhogomchungu wrote:

Hi,main developer of zuluCrypt here.

Could you open the terminal and run the following command and post its output

zuluCrypt-cli --test

Hi there main developer.
Can you please tell me why when I mount a truecrypt container in zulucrypt it mounts it ok into Nemo/Files but when I try to unmount it from Zulu it spits an error message out. I can unmount it from Nemo however the drive still appears there. In fact the entire drive can be remounted and all files inside the container are viewable even if the container file has been removed from the PC (ie from a usb hard drive). This is very weird..

If I try to umount from terminal it's the same. I will post output of --test for this error as soon as I can.

#4 2016-08-30 14:37:28

mhogomchungu

What you are observing are things that should not be happening,unless if at least one character in paths you want zuluCrypt to work with has an accent character. These characters are not supported and they cause zuluCrypt to act in weird ways.

#5 2016-08-31 12:40:56

coolguy21

mhogomchungu wrote:

What you are observing are things that should not be happening,unless if at least one character in paths you want zuluCrypt to work with has an accent character. These characters are not supported and they cause zuluCrypt to act in weird ways.

I select volume hosted in a file and open the container. It mounts it into Nemo automatically. I then click on Nemo and it prompts for sudo pword which I enter. I then have access to the drive as it appears fully mounted.

Now when I try to unmount it from Zulu I click on the mounted volume and click close it says
"Error: Close failed, shared mount point appear to belong to a different user or multiple mount points detected"

I can unmount it from Nemo after entering my sudo password.
After I unmount it from Nemo I get an unable to unmount X MB Volume
GDBus.Error.org.freedesktop.UDisks2.Error.Failed: Error locking /dev/dm-4 (/dev/loop0): Command-line 'cryptsetup luksClose "zuluCrypt-1000-NAAN-test-1831230148"' exited with non-zero exit status 5: device-mapper:remove ioctl on ZuluCrypt-1000-NAAN-test-1831230148
failed: DEvice or resource busy

#6 2016-08-31 15:17:49

mhogomchungu

coolguy21 wrote:

I select volume hosted in a file and open the container. It mounts it into Nemo automatically. I then click on Nemo and it prompts for sudo pword which I enter. I then have access to the drive as it appears fully mounted.

The above is very wrong. ZuluCrypt will unlock your volume and mount it.The reason why Nemo or nautilus among other file manager do not show zuluCrypt mount points is explained in item number 10 of zuluCrypt's FAQ[1].

The correct way that works consistently of opening the mount point is to click on the volume entry in zuluCrypt-gui/zuluMount-gui and then select "open Folder".

What you are doing wrong is that you are asking Nemo to create a second mount point and this creates confusion.Nemo now cant lock the volume because it can unmount its mount point but fail to unlock the volume because the volume is still in use since zuluCrypt's mount point is still active.

zuluCrypt also can not unlock the volume because it can unmount its mount point but fail to close the volume because Nemo's mount point is still active.

What version of zuluCrypt are you using? Version 5.0.0 should be able to notice and deal with additional mount points from other tools[2]

[1] https://github.com/mhogomchungu/zuluCry … -bug-is-it

[2] https://github.com/mhogomchungu/zuluCry … ume.c#L180

Board footer