You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-02 16:42:31

spuggy

systemd-udev-settle fails after kernel update to 4.7.2-1

Hi,

I run dmizer's ZFS modules; recently updated to kernel 4.7.2 and the ZFS modules that go along with that. Along with everything else. A day or so after rebooting, I noticed the "Places" drop-down menu in the top MATE panel wouldn't stay open for more than a few seconds; ordinarily, I click it and it'll stay open forever.

Did another "pacman -Syu" for good measure and rebooted; no effect. Except this time the ZFS pool wasn't assembled on boot. And it couldn't be manually imported ("missing device" message).

The output of "journalctl -f" showed that a constant churn of "oohh, new disk" messages. Looked like they were all changing IDs. Like every second or so. Constantly... Which I guess was the reason for the MATE menu behavior; it was closing the menu because the device list changed or re-ordered under it.

Suspecting hardware first of all, I unplugged all of the hot-swappable disks, rebooted and re-inserted them, one at a time. Everything calm, and the pool could be assembled. I left the machine off for a few minutes and re-booted; no change.

When booting with a full disk load, I had noticed a "FAIL" for udev-settle.service in the boot messages, which was unusual. Checking showed:

● systemd-udev-settle.service - udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-udev-settle.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2016-09-02 16:41:35 BST; 37min ago
     Docs: man:udev(7)
           man:systemd-udevd.service(8)
  Process: 669 ExecStart=/usr/bin/udevadm settle (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
 Main PID: 669 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Sep 02 16:41:35 t7500.localdomain systemd[1]: systemd-udev-settle.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILUR
Sep 02 16:41:35 t7500.localdomain systemd[1]: Failed to start udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization.
Sep 02 16:41:35 t7500.localdomain systemd[1]: systemd-udev-settle.service: Unit entered failed state.
Sep 02 16:41:35 t7500.localdomain systemd[1]: systemd-udev-settle.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

So, I can boot the system, manually assemble ZFS, start any dependent services (GlusterFS) and all seems well.

At some point after boot, I can even start the systemd-udev-settle.service - because not only does "udevadm settle" seem to work fine after boot - runs silently (with a zero exit status), but "systemctl start systemd-udev-settle.service" yields

● systemd-udev-settle.service - udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-udev-settle.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (exited) since Fri 2016-09-02 17:34:31 BST; 3s ago
     Docs: man:udev(7)
           man:systemd-udevd.service(8)
  Process: 28388 ExecStart=/usr/bin/udevadm settle (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 28388 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Sep 02 17:34:31 t7500.localdomain systemd[1]: Starting udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization...
Sep 02 17:34:31 t7500.localdomain systemd[1]: Started udev Wait for Complete Device Initialization.

This used to Just Work...

Am I just special, or should I log a bug for this?

#2 2016-09-05 23:07:01

spuggy

Re: systemd-udev-settle fails after kernel update to 4.7.2-1

Well, huh, that's weird; minor update today (some assorted libs like Mesa, few video drivers I don't use, some libvirt/qemu stuff), reboot to clear a wedged kodi - and udev is back to behaving completely normally/like it used to.

Despite having 100% flake record on 4-5 reboots 4 days ago, with nothing apparently having changed that would have seem to have any bearing on it.

Board footer