You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-02 14:21:38

Simurgh

[Solved] 32-libs and Steam Installation

Hi all,

So after following the Installation tips from the wiki I am missing some libraries (Steam never started because of this), so I followed Troubleshooting and read about some must-have libraries. Are they installed on a regular installation of arch? Shouldn't they be listed in the first wiki article about the installation?

However I have now two options: Install them all manually or install steam-libs, both ends in missing lib32-libudev0 from the AUR, which I can't install because I don't have lib32-kmod, which I can't install because it has no PKGBUILD (I am new to this AUR thing and tried makepkg -sri). Also kmod and steam-libs is flagged as outdated.

What am I supposed to do now?
And: Is all of that really necessary to install a package from multilib (steam)?
What is steam-native, why isn't it mentioned in the wiki article about Steam or Steam Troubleshooting?

Best regards

Last edited by Simurgh (2016-09-02 17:29:29)

Signature is WIP

#2 2016-09-02 14:40:36

vollekannehoschi

Re: [Solved] 32-libs and Steam Installation

I try the same but get "error: signature missing" (translated from german) when doing a "pacman -S lib32-kmod"

#3 2016-09-02 14:43:46

Simurgh

In english: "error: target not found" which is because lib32-kmod is from AUR and not the official repos.

Signature is WIP

#4 2016-09-02 14:48:52

yousuc
Website

Did you enable the "multilib" in your /etc/pacman.conf?

[multilib]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Update

sudo pacman -Syyu

Install Steam

sudo pacman -S steam

Now you should be able to launch steam and have steam's installer finish the rest of the items needed for the steam client automagically. Once the steam application finishes you should be presented with the Create an account or Login to existing.

Never ever install Steam from the AUR when the Steam client is in the official repo.

#5 2016-09-02 14:51:07

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I am going to assume that steam wasn't launching because of the runtime issues described here, but rather than the easier solution of preloading the system libraries, you are trying to force steam to only use system libraries. This is fine, but I wonder why you chose that method if you are not familiar with the AUR/making packages? By the sounds of it, you are trying to build lib32-libudev0, but the build is failing because it can't find lib32-kmod; this is not because lib32-kmod doesn't have a PKGBUILD, but because you haven't built and installed it yet -- makepkg can only install pre-packaged dependencies found in binary repositories, any dependencies on the AUR need to be built and installed manually.

If you are new to the AUR, you should familiarize yourself with it and makepkg first: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg

vollekannehoschi is getting a different error because they have added the unofficial repository listed at the end of the library list on the wiki, but they haven't added the maintainer's key.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2016-09-02 15:02:22

Lone_Wolf

(re-)read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository

Simurgh wrote:

What am I supposed to do now?

build & install lib32-udev0 BEFORE you build & install lib32-kmod
once you have both installed, try again .

Simurgh wrote:

And: Is all of that really necessary to install a package from multilib (steam)?

The system steam uses to run things doesn't match well with a rolling release distro like AL .
In many cases we have to force steam to use system-installed libraries instead of the outdated ones they package.

Simurgh wrote:

What is steam-native, why isn't it mentioned in the wiki article about Steam or Steam Troubleshooting?

Looking at the PKGBUILD and the files it comes with it's an attempt to automate
what's described here :  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … ve_runtime .

All it does is install 2 files.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2016-09-02 15:05:47

Simurgh

@I tried make&install libudev0 first and it said it needs kmod to do so, but yeah maybe I shouldn't rely solely on the command makepkg -sri
@yousuc I did everything you described.

@WorMzy Yes, you are correct, i have the runtime issues. So I was presented with two options:
Dynamic linker
Native Runtime
I chose second because it sounded easier to me and then ended up missing lib32-libudev0.

So you are suggesting I should use this command to start steam:

LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' /usr/bin/steam 

EDIT: Yes, this works and is easier, is there any need to clean up the mess I could have made by installing the libraries under "Native Runtime - Libraries" or the trials of installing some AUR stuff?

Last edited by Simurgh (2016-09-02 15:09:06)

Signature is WIP

#8 2016-09-02 15:20:51

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I would certainly recommend the dynamic linker/preload workaround to new users -- it's much simpler and doesn't require installing and maintaining several AUR packages. However, if you really don't want to use steam's bundled libraries, then the native runtime workaround is the better choice.

You can just remove the packages you installed if you want to give up on the native runtime workaround. Use pacman to remove them as you would any other package.

Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

#9 2016-09-02 15:37:44

Simurgh

Okay, thanks for your help. If I get "==> ERROR: 'pacman' failed to install missing dependencies." while makepkg -sri, did it install anything? Or was pacman just checking, not finding and aborting?

Also: I wrote a working wrapper script as it said in the wiki, but how do I start it via the KDE menu? I tried "Exec[...]" "steam-preload" "/usr/local/bin/steam-preload", nothing works, and yes the script is called like that and is located in /usr/local/bin.

Signature is WIP

#10 2016-09-02 16:01:18

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

If it never prompted you to agree to installing anything and just aborted with that message, then it didn't install anything. However, check your /var/log/pacman.log if you're not sure.

Right-click steam in your kde menu and edit it, change it's 'command' to your wrapper script. Alternatively, copy /usr/share/applications/steam.desktop file to ~/.local/share/applications and edit the Exec line to use your wrapper script.

#11 2016-09-02 16:24:55

Simurgh

Thanks, but it still doesn't work. Is it necessary to copy the changed file back?

Signature is WIP

#12 2016-09-02 16:55:41

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

No, if you change the original file, it will just be changed back when you update steam through pacman.

Does your wrapper work if you run it from a terminal?

Post your ~/.local/share/applications/steam.desktop

#13 2016-09-02 16:58:44

Simurgh

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Steam
Comment=Application for managing and playing games on Steam
Exec=/usr/local/bin/steam-preload %U
Icon=steam
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Network;FileTransfer;Game;
MimeType=x-scheme-handler/steam;
Actions=Store;Community;Library;Servers;Screenshots;News;Settings;BigPicture;Friends;

This is the first paragraph the only one I changed.

$ /usr/local/bin/steam-preload 

starts steam correctly

Okay, so I created a new Application Starter which refers directly to the script and it worked, then I tested the old Starter and it even worked after I removed the new one. So I don't know what was going on but now everything works. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Simurgh (2016-09-02 17:28:41)

Signature is WIP

Board footer