You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-18 18:28:36

yodermk

On rare occasions, can't bring monitor back from sleep

So I've had this system for 3+ years and it's run nothing but Arch. The whole time I've had one rare but persistent problem. Occasionally, maybe once every month or two, the monitor simply will not wake up from power saving sleep mode.  The only remedy is to reboot.  The system is fine - I can ssh in from my laptop, no problem.  Of course any work open in X applications will be lost so I just need to save frequently (a good practice anyway).  But needless to say it's awfully annoying to have to re-open everything.  I like to have my computer up for long periods of time.

I used to do a full system update almost every day and was wondering if some upgraded X infrastructure (compared to the running copy) might have something to do with it.  But I just ran my system without any updates since the last reboot and it just happened again.

The hardware is an Intel 3770K, not overclocked, using standard Intel Graphics 4000.  No add in video card.  I'm thinking of getting a Radeon; if this issue is specific to Intel maybe that could help.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what you'd recommend to go about debugging it.  Since it's so rare and not intentionally reproducible, I won't be able to follow any advice anytime soon hopefully.  But I could reference this (on my laptop) next time it happens and hopefully get somewhere.

Thanks!

#2 2015-10-18 18:30:51

yodermk

Re: On rare occasions, can't bring monitor back from sleep

I should add that I have used Ctrl-Alt-Fx to go back to text based virtual consoles.  That does not help, but sometimes (not always) after that if I alt-left back into the X session, the monitor will briefly wake up but then go to sleep again without showing anything.

#3 2016-09-03 16:17:28

yodermk

Re: On rare occasions, can't bring monitor back from sleep

Well.  Since switching from KDE to Gnome around February this year, this issue did not happen again -- until early August, just before I left for a 2 week trip.  After returning, it happened again after 7 days of having the computer up.  That was yesterday, and it just happened again today, 16 hours after the last reboot and without any package updates.

No one else has seen this?

Next time it happens maybe I'll see if I can switch to Wayland.

I also might get an AMD graphics card later this year, maybe that will shake something up.

Board footer