You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-18 04:56:13

FX

Printing to a 2000 machine

Ok I have been struggling with this for a couple of days and I just can't get this thing to print to my wifes Windows 2000 machine that the printer is attached to. When I ran the "other" distro I used the gui printer setup tool and samba. Im trying to set it up in gnome and not having very good luck.

Could anyone give me hand? I have made the nessecary changes to the samba.conf file, I believe I have anyways. Changed the workgroup to "mshome", that was the only thing.

Thanks ahead of time.

FX

I'd be ripping my hair out if I had any.

#2 2004-02-18 06:02:59

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Printing to a 2000 machine

Ok, are you using cups?  Let's just assume you are, because that's what I've used.

I'll just explain the samba aspect of it, everything else (drivers, making sure cups is working right) is up to you.

The cups documentation (http://localhost:631/sam.html#8_9) says to run this command

ln -s `which smbspool` /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb

to set up your samba printer backend.  Do that (as root) and restart cups.

The cups interface is at http://localhost:631.  Add the printer, using the samba printer whatever option.  Then your syntax is smb://<user>:<password>@<host>/<share> (just like the doc link says).

Once you get through the rest of the setup, and have all of cups' requirements installed (ghostscript, the print driver(s), etc) everything should work.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-03-01 02:58:14

FX

Re: Printing to a 2000 machine

Thanks Xentac with a little more help from alemao in chat to get the fine tuning done I was able to get it working.

I took notes and have everything written down.

FX

I'd be ripping my hair out if I had any.

Board footer