You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-06 18:01:38

wulfspider

Install Arch on Tablet

Hey guys,

I'm a student and I'm looking for a solution to take notes in my courses, which is also compatible to the documents and software on my PC. The price / perfomance ratio for the current notebooks is bad, so I wondered whether I get running Arch with Gnome shell natively on my tablet without chroot. It's a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition).

I think it's a nice project and I have some time until the next semester starts. It would be very cool if you help and support me here in this thread! smile I will upload all my work to Github (if I get something useful).

So, what do I need? I think the main problem is to get a working kernel and the drivers. Is it possible to use them from this project [1] ? Links to Github are at the bottom of the first post.
Is there a better alternative to get a working kernel? Version 4.x (was it 4.6?) of the Linux Kernel should have a better ARM support, but I think there are missing some drivers though.

Setting up the Arch Linux system shouldn't be the problem with the help of https://archlinuxarm.org. I haven't done anything with this yet, but the documentation in the wiki looks good. My plan is to install the ARM Arch Linux into a raw image which I can flash to my device later. For testing I'm should be able to boot from it with some Qemu magic I think.

Which possibilities for flashing do I have? The only solution I know would be over TWRP / adb.

Thanks in advance for your replies smile

[1] http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy- … s-t3332894

Last edited by wulfspider (2016-09-06 18:14:45)

#2 2016-09-06 18:18:20

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Install Arch on Tablet

No.  Mostly.

That machine is based on an ARM Cortex processor, therefore you will never be able to run Arch Linux on it as Arch Linux is for x86 and x86_64 architectures. You might be able to get Archlinux ARM to run on it, but that is a different distribution. https://archlinuxarm.org/
You might try asking over there.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-09-06 18:30:11

wulfspider

ewaller wrote:

You might be able to get Archlinux ARM to run on it

This was my intention. I will ask in their forums smile

But why does this forum section exists? wink

Last edited by wulfspider (2016-09-06 18:31:10)

#4 2016-09-06 18:44:33

ewaller
Administrator

wulfspider wrote:

You know, that is an excellent question.  It existed when I first found Arch, and still existed when I became a moderator.  I think the policy that Arch Linux was an x86 distribution only firmed up over the years.
I'll let those who have been around here longer than I chime in.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2016-09-06 19:10:42

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

wulfspider wrote:

Historical reasons. Arch was originally only i386, so here people could post about 64bit or i586 and, when they first appeared, ARM devices. Then Arch-ARM sprang up, and now that community is responsible for that distro/architecture.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2016-09-06 19:32:16

Awebb

If you find an architecture you want to tackle, then you might want to use this board to rally the troops. It's not that all talk about other architectures is forbidden, it's just that the majority of non-x86 questions are about ARM devices. Nobody will stop your ArchVAX or ArchMIPS-X, should you ask for like-minded creatures here.

Board footer