You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-11 01:25:10

Zaxth

Haswell-e and Intel-pstate woes

I'm running a 5820k cpu, and I've had a lot of issues with system performance.
Tabs on browsers lagging, tooltips lagging behind the cursor when hovering above multiple bookmark folders in chromium, plasma not performing well at all. Even a couple complete system locks, requiring me to hit the reset button.
I tried multiple things, installing pstate-frequency from the AUR and running "pstate-frequency --set --plan max" even setting up a systemd service for it. It didn't help. I then tried a CK kernel with scheduler set to performance, that didn't help either, the issues remained.
It wasn't until I compiled kernel 4.7-ck with the schedutil set as cpu scheduler, and disabling the pstate driver in the kernel config before compilation. And now the system performs very well; plasma is very speedy, browser bookmark tabs refresh instantly, everything runs as fast as I expect it should.

I just thought that others might want to know, as I'm sure there are others out there with Haswell-e cpu's that are experiencing lacking performance. This 'fix' might work on other recent Intel cpu's as well, I don't really know.
But you can probably test and see if you can benefit from disabling it yourself by appending intel_pstate=disable to your bootloader.

Last edited by Zaxth (2016-09-11 01:48:16)

#2 2016-09-11 10:32:21

dockland

Re: Haswell-e and Intel-pstate woes

Have you installed intel-ucode? Don't know, but it might help.

I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
I use it to look at funny pictures of cats and to argue with strangers.

#3 2016-09-11 10:33:34

firekage

Re: Haswell-e and Intel-pstate woes

Have you tried disabling HT in bios?

Board footer