You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-14 13:31:04

kgizdov
Package Maintainer (PM)

External HDD Overcurrent Issue

Hi,

I've noticed on my laptop that if I plug in my WD Elements in the high powered USB 2.0, it triggers the overcurrent protection and then I have to reboot in order to re-enable that port again. The funny thing is, the none-high power USB 3.0 port works fine. I was only able to find this post from WD - http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/an … px?ID=1488

This acknowledges the problem and says it's OS specific. Is this a kernel/usb driver bug or is that intentional? I am pretty sure the high powered port is specifically designed for such operation and should not be tripped by external drives. Does anyone know how to overcome this? Should I submit a kernel bug?

Regards.

#2 2016-09-14 14:17:33

ewaller
Administrator

Re: External HDD Overcurrent Issue

The USB 3.0 specification, for the non-charge port versions, increased the current limit from 500mA to 900mA.
Charge port versions may provide up to 1500mA.  Power delivery versions may provide up to 5000mA. 

I would say that I, for your device, is:   500mA < I <= 900mA

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer