You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-15 17:28:03

flacer

[Solved] No image on builtin screen after kms

Hi guys,
I'm a "quiet user" of arch for quite some years and very happy so far! smile
I'm currently running it on my working machine, my laptop and my vServer. Until now, I had only minor problems, wich were mostly solved by the strategy "drink a tea and wait for the next update".

Not so the last one: updated my laptop, a Samsung Slate 7 Series (XE700T1A) and the next day, there was no image on the screen. I hadn't much time and worked with an external display, so I can't trace back wich package had caused this. I've done quite some research, and tried to fix things, but nothing worked.

So let me describe the problem and my fixing attempts in detail:
the image disappears right after KMS and doesn't show up under X. The display isn't deactivated, because the backlight is working and is listed under gnome display settings, but only with 640x480 and 59 and 63Hz. Deactivating and activating works but has no effect.
A week later I installed the intel gpu driver, no avail. Added it to the initramfs, that makes it only disappearing earlier.
Tested nomodeset, it isn't disappearing, but no X, since modesetting is required for the intel driver as i have understood.
video=LVDS-1.. had also no effect.
I thought it would get wrong information from the screen and stumbled over read-edid, but it said "no device found" or similar.

So I have no clue where to look further.
Any ideas?

P.S.: I have an USB drive on wich I had installed arch some time ago. It booted fine, so I think, this must be update related.

Last edited by flacer (2016-09-30 11:13:22)

#2 2016-09-27 19:15:51

1Raio

Re: [Solved] No image on builtin screen after kms

I have the same issue in my laptop and adding "i915.modeset=0" in kernel options worked for me, meaning: I can see the display and load X. The downside is that the problem is not solved, so my resolution is stuck in 1024x768.

#3 2016-09-29 21:01:46

flacer

Hadn't waited long enough! wink
Now, since the new kernel update today, it is working again. smile
I hope, it does for you, too.

#4 2016-09-29 21:06:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer