You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-03 07:37:14

goreng

Odd Unable to Browse network shares via file manager.

Long-time lurker...first time poster.   Reletivly new to linux but would say I know my around fairly well, debugging is not high on the skill set yet though.
Anyways....

As the title says...Unable to connect/browse any network shares using a GUI file manager.  From command line I am able to do pretty much whatever, smbclient  - no problem, mount with cifs (mount -t cifs yada yada) and browse in file manager after that - yay great!  But this is not the problem. 

The problem comes in the GUIverse.  Open file manager (in my case thunar, though nemo, pcmanfm, or dolphin all seem to fail as well) click "network" on side bar, wait, .....nothing.  Eventualy it times out.  The same result occures if the we do "smb://myserver..." in location bar as well.  Same while operating as root. 

So here is the run down of some  relevent items

fresh arch install
xfce -with goodies
samba -  its enabled, minor changes to smb.conf
   workgroup = WORKGROUP
   wins support= yes
   etc
   Anyways I can browse via smbclient and cli no problem.
smbnetfs
sshfs
gvfs
gvfs-smb
cifs-utils
ntfs-3g

Am I missing something here.?

Last edited by goreng (2016-09-03 21:02:56)

#2 2016-09-03 21:01:51

goreng

Re: Odd Unable to Browse network shares via file manager.

Nobody has any suggestions? 

Dolphin works (I never typed the smb://etc into the location bar the first time) so I am assuming this problem in Thunar has something to do with gvfs.    Now I like Dolphin don't get me wrong, but since I like operating in xfce, Dolphin adds a heap of depenancies being KDE and all.   I would like ot avoid this if possible. 

And most importantly I would like to learn why this problem occures as it is not the first arch install that I;ve come accross that has it.

Last edited by goreng (2016-09-04 02:23:35)

#3 2016-09-04 02:38:18

goreng

Well I think I might have found the issue.  Samba would hang looking for printers to load.   I commented out the following in smb.conf:

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
#   printcap name = /etc/printcap
#   load printers = yes

Im sure you could just have done "load printers = no"  But anyways...

Now when in Thunar in location bar I input "smb://server/share" and authentication pops up no problem.   

Now I would love to know why when I click the "browse network" icon in the left side panel it still times out.    But hey sometimes you have to enjoy the little victories.

Once I figure this out I think I am done with Thunar.    Tough love.

#4 2016-09-04 16:42:22

torors

Have you installede Thunar Volume Manager ?

#5 2016-09-18 03:20:19

WFV

torors wrote:

Have you installede Thunar Volume Manager ?

I installed thunar-volman a long time now and keep system up to date, not sure when the "Browse Network" stopped working though, maybe along with libdbus upgrade to dbus? I don't use it often but having same issue as OP although it used to work with occasional timeouts however, now the timeout message is different too. How do I debug this? If I use

% thunar-volman
thunar-volman: Must specify the sysfs path of new devices with --device-added.

I'm not looking for new devices and don't understand what the path is looking for. Just trying to connect to home network of other non-linux pc's. Thanks.

EDIT: I can mount and access the Windows pc's when typing in "smb://nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/users/path/to/share" - by ip address, just not the pc names into Thunar, and the "Browse Network" icon isn't working.

Last edited by WFV (2016-09-18 04:47:52)

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

Board footer