aur/libgcrypt15                        1.5.4-4              -> 1.5.6-1
aur/lightdm-pantheon-greeter           2.0.2-2              -> 3.0-2
aur/qt-installer-framework             2.0.1-3              -> 2.0.3-2
                                                        ->1.1.0.r30.g4af697
aur/rofi-git                           1.0.0.r12.g09d1955-1
aur/spotify                            1.0.36.120-1         ->1.0.37.152-1
                                                        ->1.11.0.r0.g28ddde
aur/termdown-git                       1.8.0.r27.g095c346-1

However when I try and perform the same update with pacaur using the following command:

pacaur -Syyua

I am displayed this output.

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting AUR upgrade...
:: dorian-theme is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: google-play-music-desktop-player-git is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: strigi is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: ultra-flat-icons is not present in AUR -- skipping
:: resolving dependencies...
:: no results found for libwingpanel-2.0.so

And the command completes its execution. Note how there is no mention of the AUR packages that exist and need updating but only the ones that are no longer present and are being skipped. How can I include AUR packages in updates using pacaur?

#2 2016-09-17 17:48:34

Awebb

Re: pacaur doesn't update AUR packages

1. Read "man pacaur" and find out what exactly the -a option does, as opposed to what you expect it to do.

2. Compare the list of AUR packages yaourt updates and the list of AUR packages pacaur doesn't find. There is something else wrong. What is the output of pacman -Qqm?

Last edited by Awebb (2016-09-17 17:51:11)

#3 2016-09-17 18:02:47

geklicoya

Awebb wrote:

1. Read "man pacaur" and find out what exactly the -a option does, as opposed to what you expect it to do.

I have read the man page extensively in order to get to the root of this problem and it states:

-a, --aur
           When used with pacman extended operations, only search, download,
           build, install or update target(s) from the AUR.

By this description I assumed I was using the option correctly. What am I not understanding about this?

Awebb wrote:

2. Compare the list of AUR packages yaourt updates and the list of AUR packages pacaur doesn't find. There is something else wrong. What is the output of pacman -Qqm?

pacaur doesn't seem to find any AUR packages. It only lists the ones that it can't find, then skips them.

Here is the output of the command you listed:

acestream-engine
acestream-launcher
batterymon-clone
bitchx-git
bitwig-studio
chromium-pepper-flash
cli-visualizer
cower
create_ap
dorian-theme
downgrade
dtrx
faba-icon-theme-git
faba-mono-icons-git
ffmpeg-compat-54
fingerprint-gui
fmodex
fmodex4.26.36
foxitreader
google-play-music-desktop-player-git
gtk-theme-config
gzdoom
i3-gaps
i3blocks
i3lock-blur
i3lock-fancy-git
kalu
libavutil-52
libdvbpsi8
libgcrypt15
libindicator-gtk2
libindicator-gtk3
lightdm-pantheon-greeter
lightdm-webkit2-greeter
moka-icon-theme-git
netctl-eduroam
pacaur
package-query
popcorntime
python-notify2
python-pyfiglet
qt-installer-framework
redshift-git
redshift-gtk-git
rofi-git
solarized-dark-themes
spotify
spotify-adkiller
strigi
sublime-text
termdown-git
tor-browser-en
ttf-font-awesome
ttf-font-icons
ultra-flat-icons
xfce4-indicator-plugin
yabar
yaourt

Last edited by geklicoya (2016-09-17 18:13:29)

#4 2016-09-17 18:41:49

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: moving to AUR Issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2016-09-17 19:16:35

Raynman

geklicoya wrote:

I have read the man page extensively in order to get to the root of this problem and it states:

-a, --aur
           When used with pacman extended operations, only search, download,
           build, install or update target(s) from the AUR.

By this description I assumed I was using the option correctly. What am I not understanding about this?

You are now only updating targets from AUR. IIRC, for yaourt, -a means 'update AUR packages in addition to repo packages'.

Awebb wrote:

pacaur doesn't seem to find any AUR packages. It only lists the ones that it can't find, then skips them.

It does find updates, because it starts resolving dependencies. Then it finds a problem with libwingpanel-2.0.so and that causes it to abort the update process.

#6 2016-09-17 20:01:17

geklicoya

Raynman wrote:

It does find updates, because it starts resolving dependencies. Then it finds a problem with libwingpanel-2.0.so and that causes it to abort the update process.

Okay now it's starting to make sense. How do I go about manually installing dependencies? The only reference to the concept in the pacman Wiki page is under the "Reinstalling pacman" section.

Also when it says "no results found for libwingpanel-2.0.so" does that mean it cannot be found locally or from the repos? Forgive me if these are silly questions I'm new to Arch

Last edited by geklicoya (2016-09-17 20:02:33)

#7 2016-09-17 20:16:01

Raynman

geklicoya wrote:

How do I go about manually installing dependencies?

Just install them normally with the -S operation. The only thing you'd want to do differently is pass --asdeps to set the correct install reason (but it's possible to override this later with pacman -D).

Also when it says "no results found for libwingpanel-2.0.so" does that mean it cannot be found locally or from the repos?

It means it can't be found anywhere. Apparently searching the AUR for names only listed in 'provides' doesn't work, but if you look at the AUR page for lightdm-pantheon-greeter (the package requiring libwingpanel-2.0.so) you can find the packages that provide it and install one of them manually.

Last edited by Raynman (2016-09-17 20:16:26)

#8 2016-09-17 20:57:18

geklicoya

Raynman wrote:

Just install them normally with the -S operation. The only thing you'd want to do differently is pass --asdeps to set the correct install reason (but it's possible to override this later with pacman -D).

I tried this with the following command:

pacaur -S --asdeps libwingpanel-2.0.so

And I got the following output:

:: Package(s) libwingpanel-2.0.so not found in repositories, trying AUR...
:: resolving dependencies...
:: no results found for libwingpanel-2.0.so

It means it can't be found anywhere. Apparently searching the AUR for names only listed in 'provides' doesn't work, but if you look at the AUR page for lightdm-pantheon-greeter (the package requiring libwingpanel-2.0.so) you can find the packages that provide it and install one of them manually.

Do you mean install a package (other than lightdm-pantheon-greeter) that requires libwingpanel-2.0.so? Or a package that lightdm-pantheon-greeter requires?

Last edited by geklicoya (2016-09-17 20:58:23)

#9 2016-09-17 21:09:06

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

You really shouldn't be using an AUR helper if you don't understand what Raynman is telling you.

Go back to the basics, learn how to use the AUR without a helper first, then use a helper once you know what you're doing.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Makepkg

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#10 2016-09-17 21:09:21

mcmillan

He means if you actually go to the lightdm-pantheon-greeter  AUR page it links to packages that provide libwingpanel-2.0.so and you should install one of those to meet the dependency

#11 2016-09-17 22:05:06

geklicoya

WorMzy wrote:

You really shouldn't be using an AUR helper if you don't understand what Raynman is telling you.

Go back to the basics, learn how to use the AUR without a helper first, then use a helper once you know what you're doing.

I understand what is happening I was just confused by the phrasing. Forgive me as English is not my first language.

mcmillan wrote:

He means if you actually go to the lightdm-pantheon-greeter  AUR page it links to packages that provide libwingpanel-2.0.so and you should install one of those to meet the dependency

The two packages listed that provide the dependency are wingpanel and wingpanel-bzr. When I try to install either of these I am met with another dependency failure stating that libgala.so could not be found. On the wingpanel page it lists three packages that provide the libgala.so dependency. The first two, gala-bzr and libgala-bzr, cause a conflict between the existing granite package, which is required by lightdm-pantheon-greeter, and the granite-bzr package it is attempting to install. The third option, pantheon-workarounds, fails on the libgala dependency like wingpanel and wingpanel-bzr.

Is it safe to install granite-bzr over granite? I do not want to break lightdm-pantheon-greeter.

Edit: Having done some research on Bazarr I realised it was safe to install granite-bzr over granite. I installed it and and successfully met the dependencies required for AUR packages to update using pacaur. Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by geklicoya (2016-09-17 22:44:11)

#12 2016-09-18 11:18:51

Awebb

Now I fully understand the problem. pacaur should find those packages, if they are in the AUR.

I searched for the packages pacaur refuses to update in the AUR (aur page) and they are not there. Therefore, pacaur cannot update them.

About installing a vcs (git, hg, bzr) package over an existing package: This will go smoothly most of the time, but sometimes ...

a) ... some or all of the packages depending on it must be rebuilt against the vcs package (= be built in the presence of the vcs package).
b) ... a package depending on it might not work with the latest (vcs) version of a package yet.

Board footer