You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-17 16:53:33

cac

where to post a query about a possible (probable) bug in gvim

I apologize in advance for errors in listing commands (my experience with fora is that this always takes some learning).  Obtained gvim via
"pacman -S gvim" and installed it (this was last night and the version was 7.4).  Fonts can be changed via the menu, but not from the colon prompt (or from .gvimrc file).  In addition, the command, ": set guifont=*" doesn't work.  Where can I report this.  Thanks.  (This is not critical as I have also compiled elvis-2.2_0 (without the gui) and can use the copy command from the excellent xfce terminal shell (or for that matter vim, which works fine and reads the "set gfn" command from the .vimrc file).)

#2 2016-09-17 18:12:40

FlowIt

Re: where to post a query about a possible (probable) bug in gvim

:set guifont=*

works fine for me. You can run gvim with the -V option to create a log file, maybe something interesting pops up. Also, what does "the command doesn't work" actually mean? Do you get an error? Does the font selection window simply not show? ...?

Edit: I just realized that I didn't really answer your question: I don't think this is a bug but rather a configuration problem on your side. So the forum here is the best place to solve it.

Last edited by FlowIt (2016-09-17 18:22:57)

#3 2016-09-17 19:47:57

ralvez
Website

@cac,

I concur with Flowit. It does not seem to be a bug but rather a setup issue.
If you have created a ~/.vimrc file you cand add this:

" Set color scheme for CLI
if !has("gui_running")
    set t_Co=256	    " set terminal mode to 256 colours
    color jellybeans
endif

" Hide vertical split line (MUST BE AFTER color scheme)
hi vertsplit guifg=bg guibg=bg

" +---------------------------+
" |        Font Options       |
" +---------------------------+

" aurget -S powerline-fonts-git to get the fonts

set guifont=Monaco\ for\ Powerline\ Regular\ 10

The first part of the settings tell gvim to check if your gui is running if it is
it will setup a a theme (In this case jellybeans)  then it sets the fonts
in this case Monaco for Powerline Regular 10

Note: Of course you must have the font installed in your system wink

Hope this helps.

R.

#4 2016-09-18 02:14:36

cac

Thanks to both of you.  I will try your suggestions.  The : command to list all the fonts produces the error message that the font * doesn't exit.
Two further questions. (1) I don't have the aurget command.  What package is it on ("pacman -S aurget" returns "target doesn't exist").   (2) when I compile vim-7.4 myself (omitting all of the python, ruby, lua, etc.options) the resulting gvim doesn't even have a font choice on the edit menu, although it works fine with the font set to 10x20 (but not with monaco, which is installed properly).  Any idea what I would need to add to get the font menu?  (I realize this is a question for a vim forum -- am asking just in case you know the answer from your own experiences.)

#5 2016-09-18 14:28:00

cac

Problem fixed, although not in a way that makes one happy.  I uninstalled the vim I obtained via pacman (and the one I had compiled myself) and reinstalled the vim from pacman.  Everything now works fine, but I have no idea why the first install didn't work correctly.  Thanks for your help!
Chet (in Canada).

Board footer