You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-18 04:49:21

beaker23

Graphics Tearing using AMDGPU driver when Laptop Lid is Closed

Trying to sort out a problem that only occurs with the open source AMDGPU driver.  My graphics operate normally when the laptop lid is opened, however once I close the laptop lid I get really poor graphics performance, even on just the plasma desktop.  The windows tear and move across the screen very slowly.

If I open the lid up it operates just fine.

I already have

HandleLidSwitch=ignore

Inside of the /etc/systemd/logind.conf

Is there another way for me to completely disable the lid switch action?  I think somehow the xf86-video-amdgpu driver is reading the state of my laptop's lid and altering it's performance based upon when the lid is closed or open and I'd like it not to do anything.

My laptop has a monitor connected to it that I use the majority of the time, leaving the laptop lid closed typically.

Are there other places that read the state of the laptop lid switch?  Any other places I can set something to make the laptop ignore the lid switch action completely without having to alter the hardware switch itself?

I was just using catalyst-total from the AUR and wasn't having this problem with that, but wanted to switch back to the open source driver for a while.

#2 2016-09-18 22:10:48

beaker23

Re: Graphics Tearing using AMDGPU driver when Laptop Lid is Closed

Well I sort of, not really, found a solution.

I blacklisted the ACPI kernel module 'button'.  That prevents ACPI from reading the state of the buttons and has -completely- disabled the lid switch from my system in the software.

Graphics run fine now with the lid closed using the open-source amdgpu kernel module.

It's also managed to take out my other buttons though, really the only other one I would've used is the power button.

I'm sure there's a better solution to this somewhere though .. seems just like a bug to me at this point, but for now this works for me.

Board footer