You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-18 22:20:57

bobadigo

NEW Problems with KDE

PLEASE refer to #9 post for new answers: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1656293

[OLD]

Good morning.
I installed ArchLinux on my new PC some hours ago. I decided to try out KDE, instead of what I used in the past, GNOME.
I am really liking it, but I have some problems with the new DE:
1. With Dolphin, the default file manager, I can't see the option "Open in Konsole" even if the option is enabled in "Dolphine->Control->Configure Dolphine->Services;
2. I can't select the date format (like from "mm/dd/yyyy" to "dd/mm/yyyy") without changing language;
3. I can't find a method to use 24h time format on sddm;
4. I can't find a way to autodim the screen after locking;
5. Firefox font is horrible in some sites, like google;
6. I enabled NetworkManager daemon at the start, but when I go to click on a connection, all the "speed field" are always on 0.

Is there someone that can help me with these problems? Thanks

Last edited by bobadigo (2016-09-23 20:02:49)

#2 2016-09-18 22:35:32

Asira

Re: NEW Problems with KDE

Hi,
could you please give us a bit more insight concerning the system you're running? What kind of KDE modules have you installed? Since you just installed your Arch system, I'm guessing you're rolling the latest iteration of Plasma 5? What kind of hardware is in your system? Can you create a network connection on any other way? Maybe it's a hardware and not a software problem.
Check if your network entity is "UP" with the following command:

ip link

If not, try to bring it to the up-state and ensure that it's not disabled by RF-kill, possibly through a hardware switch.
When you're trying to connect via WiFi, try wifi-menu to connect. It's graphical so don't worry.
What kind of locale did you generate during your arch install? Take a look at /etc/locale.conf and uncomment appropriate lines.The run

locale-gen

Depending on your system, whether you're using a laptop or not, dimming your screen requires additional drivers. Check your monitor/screen model and visit the manufacturer's page.
Concerning other configuration problems with KDE you described above, take a look at your config file usually found in your user's folder.
And if you don't like the standard fonts, just install other ones. smile

Regards,
Asira

#3 2016-09-19 02:24:45

Salkay

bobadigo wrote:

2. I can't select the date format (like from "mm/dd/yyyy" to "dd/mm/yyyy") without changing language;
3. I can't find a method to use 24h time format on sddm;

This is a known bug. The only way to precisely customise the date/time formats is to patch the Qt source files, which is horrifically fiddly since they are in an obscure (and undocumented?) format. sad

#4 2016-09-19 02:55:39

ralvez
Website

In connection to #1. What behavior are you expecting?

If I click on a file that is say a script, Dolphin gives me an popup option to either open it in an editor or run it.
In dolphin I can also press F4 and open a console at the bottom of the file manager.

Are you saying that none of this things happen in your case or that you expect a different behavior and it not happening?

#5 2016-09-19 09:11:03

alive4ever

For question #1, the option to open terminal is available under Actions context menu. Shift+F4 also does the job.

Last edited by alive4ever (2016-09-19 09:12:31)

#6 2016-09-19 11:19:02

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

The only way to precisely customise the date/time formats is to patch the Qt source files

KDE tends to honor locale settings like LC_TIME , setting options outside of KDE is a work-around.

check man locale.conf ,man locale ,man 7 locale (and other related manpages) .

There is a chance sddm also honors locale settings.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7 2016-09-19 12:29:15

Salkay

Lone_Wolf wrote:

The only way to precisely customise the date/time formats is to patch the Qt source files

KDE tends to honor locale settings like LC_TIME , setting options outside of KDE is a work-around.

I can't exactly remember if LC_TIME works with KDE, but I do know that the locales in `/usr/share/i18n/locales/` are not respected. The list of locales in the System Settings GUI are different to this, and provided by Qt. (I think it's "qlocale".)

#8 2016-09-19 20:15:38

bobadigo

[SOLVED]
I found a solution for everything, except point 2 and 3 that are known bugs.
Thanks to all!

#9 2016-09-23 19:57:32

bobadigo

I have a new problems now...
As first thing, I cannot add a printer. When i go to "System Settings->Printers" it promt a login window (http://postimg.org/image/4eunykvgj/). So.. after logging as root, if I click "+ Click here to add a new printer", it also ask for a new login window. After doint that again, I can see the lan printer, but not carry on (http://postimg.org/image/l3tjfdz29/). What can I do?
The other "problem", is just a little question about sddm, but that i wouldn't ask in a new thread... Is there a way to change sddm time format, at the login screen?
Thanks.

P.S. Cups daemons already started and enabled.

Last edited by bobadigo (2016-09-23 20:02:34)

#10 2016-09-23 21:01:53

ralvez
Website

@bobadigo,

I usually set the network printer in my /etc/hosts, like this:

192.168.1.15    minilin                 minilin
192.168.1.30    lanprint                lanprint  <-- that is the printer's name

Then I open cups in the browser: localhost:631

I then click on Administration --> Add printer and follow the prompts.
I then choose in the setup to use socket, like this:

socket://lanprint:9100

I think you have to use the root password to access the administrator settings in cups.

Usually this is smooth as silk...

Give it a shot if your other method does not work.

Hope this helps.

R.

#11 2016-09-23 22:32:59

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Please don't create "shopping list" threads, or keep adding new problems to a thread. Create one thread per issue.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer