You are not logged in.

#5551 2016-09-22 09:12:34

marcoscosmos

Re: The Official Hello Everyone Thread

Hi folks!

I've been using arch on-and-off for months (and other flavours of linux for years) - I've even made a few posts here and such - but I've only recently got things more-or-less how I like it and been able to start using it as my primary OS (I'm dual-booting - and thanks to those who helped me notice my MBR vs EFI mistake fix several problems (some of which I had forgotten about) many moons ago!).

I'm probably still fairly novice although I'm not new to linux I'm a software engineer(ing student) and have many years of general experience as a programmer so it's all pretty familiar.

My main reasons for using arch/linux are basically that I'm someone who likes to learn and continue learning many different things and ways of doing things.

However, I recently discovered BSPWM (and tiling window managers in general) and between that, 'desktops', and the fact that I greatly prefer to use my keyboard over my mouse as an input method, I'm increasingly finding arch much more conveniant than windows (particularly now that enough of my favourite games are linux-compatible).

More importantly though I realised that (regretfully) I've never made an effort to become part of the community.

So, here I am, and hopefully I'll be spending time here regularly!

Last edited by marcoscosmos (2016-09-22 10:47:38)

Reality can change as easily as the way you care to see it.
An answer, static in nature as it is, refers to one frozen snapshot of that reality. It's value can only go down.
Questions on the other hand seem to keep up with the dance and if anything, their value can grow.
-- Kostas Kiriakakis' comic

#5552 2016-09-22 10:30:19

infectiousoma92

Hello
I don't often post on forums and typically find posts related to what I need. Of course posting my own issue would be more on point. I just made a post about the Domain Controller I am trying to host. I will be extremely busy for the next few months until starting school again so i could use all the help I can get. I use N-able RMM at work as a NOC manager. Unfortunately it's not particularly what I specialize in. It is also my first job in the industry and I need to gain the experience.
Thank you all and I hope to hear from you in my future posts.

#5553 2016-09-22 11:00:21

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Welcome to the forums.

Mod note: merging with the existing thread.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5554 2016-09-23 11:28:31

Velociraptor_sb

Hi people,

after years on windows and casually using linux (/OpenSUSE/Debian/Ubuntu) at work relating to embedded devices, i finally made the switch to archlinux as my primary OS at home a couple of weeks ago. And i must say i am very impressed , i am currently using arch/xfce/lightdm on a desktop pc (MSI B85M G43, i7 4770 , Nvidia gtx680 , 32 gigs (8gigsx4) 1600 MHZ , (4tb WD RED NAS HDD + 1tb WD Black HDD + 1tb WD green +1tb WD My passport + 650 WD MyBook) unfortunatly currently using my intel GMA integrated graphics as primary  on two screens as i have been attempting to GPU passthrough my GTX 680 to a qemu vm with the ovmf/vfio-pci method described in the archwiki , as i like also to play some AAA games every once in a while  if possible. So currently i am reading a lot about the issue and trying to troubleshoot my problem(s) which is how i landed here in the forums

Thank you for reading and cya around

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core i7-4770 || kingston hyperX 1600Mhz 32Gb(8Gbx4) DDR3-CL10 || MSI B85M-G43 || Gainward Nvidia GTX 680 Phantom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#5555 2016-09-23 13:12:01

kultivat3

Well, I just registered and thought I'd drop in to say hi!

I've been a casual Linux user for quite a long time, used many distros and was even a FreeBSD user for a while.  Always kept Windows as my main OS for obvious reasons (mainly gaming), now I've seemed to have grown out of that for the most part (I have my 3DS XL for that) and want to run Linux full time...no dual boot. I've been running Mint for the last month and felt I was not going in the direction that I wanted to go. I always heard about Arch, but never gave it a chance because of the 'learning curve', especially what it takes to install it. After doing some research, I decided Arch was the perfect fit for what I wanted. Downloaded the live iso, spent a couple hours installing (and reading!), and after several hurdles have arrived at my fully functional xfce desktop with wifi and everything. This was all just a couple days ago and I have been absorbing gobs and gobs of information (via the wiki) and feel like I've barely scratched the surface! That's the part that excites me.

Looking forward to learning more about Linux and running Arch full time.

Asus q324ua | i7-7500u 3.5GHz | 16GB DDR3L 1866MHz | 512GB SATAIII m.2 | 13" 1080p IPS LED Touch

#5556 2016-09-23 18:03:13

Otakuryo

hello arch !!! smile

#5557 2016-09-23 19:46:06

mikle20

Hey arch community,
hope we will have a nice time together wink

I registerd myself one week ago on the german forum but i want that my questions reach a larger community.
Also i my first contact with linux started 1 week ago so pls forgive me my nescience wink.

Why Arch and not another easy install distro?
I think with an easy install it's not done. If i want to use linux i need to learn how I can configure and fix it.
And I think Arch is the best distro if you want to learn sth about linux wink.

Current System:
Lenovo Thinkpad L450
250GB SSD
8GB RAM
Intel® Core™ i5 5200U
Intel® HD Graphics 5500

Dualboot (UEFI): arch and Win10 with EFISTUB.
Startup finished in 2.636s (firmware) + 27ms (loader) + 1.418s (kernel) + 583ms (userspace) = 4.666s (love arch big_smile)
Finished my lightdm and xfce4 desktop just at the moment smile.

Reinstalled arch a lot in the last week (had to try different bootloaders and boot managers in different configuration of my partitions)

#5558 2016-09-23 21:36:09

GordB
Website

Hello, from Burlington Ontario.  I am new to Arch, having been teased with Manjaro.  Here to learn the how to's.

Thanks Gord

#5559 2016-09-24 22:45:50

bnasty

Hello all!

After building a custom computer (with the intention of running Mac OS X on it), I decided to try out Ubuntu. After running with Ubuntu for a bit, I fell in love with the KDE desktop environment but loathed all of the unnecessary software installed on my system and the poor documentation on the Ubuntu wiki.

As per the recommendations of a friend, I decided to read up on Arch. I appreciated what I read about the KISS principle, strong and helpful community, comprehensive wiki, and pacman. Additionally, as a programmer, I am very interested in learning about how Linux works. It took more effort than expected to switch to Arch, but a month later, I have not looked back (to Ubuntu or Mac).

I hope becoming an Arch user helps me become more involved in open source communities and even contribute my own code to Arch!

#5560 2016-09-25 17:55:18

nsmith1805

Hey, everyone, I'm Nick.

I'm studying engineering physics, and my department makes us do an intro to linux course as a graduation requirement. I found it interesting and started to dual-boot ubuntu on my computer (I play too many video games to totally get rid of windows...) for school purposes. This weekend, after using ubuntu for about a year, I finally decided it was time to go deeper into the world of linux, so I wiped the hard drive of an old laptop and booted up arch.

My goal is primarily to learn more about linux through experience. And if I accidentally end up with a really badass computer in the process, awesome.

So far, I've really liked how well-documented arch is, both through official sources and within the community. I'm still decently new, so I'll probably tend to lurk more than post. But again, my goal is to learn more, so hopefully I'll eventually know enough to be more active.

#5561 2016-09-25 18:31:59

Texbrew

Good to hear from you new forum members. Most of you have expressed a desire to learn more about how linux works, and in my view, Arch Linux is a great way to learn - I'm still learning. Rewards for our persistence are a very fine operating system and a better understanding of linux in general.

Cheers!

tex

#5562 2016-09-25 19:41:41

ewaller
Administrator

nsmith1805 wrote:

I'm studying engineering physics...

Welcome to Arch Linux.
I found that an interesting statement.  As an engineer with many physics friends I can attest that those two communities are somewhat siloed and love to cast friendly barbs at each other -- usually over a few adult beverages smile

Engineers think that equations approximate the real world.
Physicists think that the real world approximates equations.
Mathematicians are unable to make the connection.
big_smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5563 2016-09-25 23:02:10

ownbit

I'm probably using Linux for 10 years right now. First stumbled upon it in the public library's PC's. It was probably one of Kubuntu's early releases and we didn't have any privileges when using those machines.

But there (in the library) were also some machines with Fedora Core installed. No one used those and sometimes I would turn them on and found them to be very interesting, especially because of the appearance of Gnome 2.

Then in 2009 I first got a PC and installed Ubuntu. Gave it up in favor of Debian and now I'm moving to Arch, as I realized that .Deb distros aren't teaching me a lot.

#5564 2016-09-26 03:38:38

whiskylogic

Hello all. Long time user, just never got around to registering.

Arch has been choice for personal PCs since somewhere around '04-'05. Finally got back into school couple years ago, double majoring infosec and computer science.

Only problem I've found with Arch is it has spoiled me, and most other OS feel like I'm computering with gloves on.

Last edited by whiskylogic (2016-09-26 03:40:10)

Cent in the streets, Arch in the sheets.

#5565 2016-09-27 12:35:19

bit101

Hello Arch people. Been using various orange and mint colored distros for some years. Decided to up my game and worked through a full Arch installation on my main machine. I've also been working through the No Starch Press "How Linux Works" book and it's all starting to make sense. Really nice to have so much understanding and control over my pc and OS. The Arch Wiki has been so useful through this whole process. Now that I've arrived with a stable install, I think I'll be using the forums a lot more.

#5566 2016-09-30 22:43:21

cowboy0629

Hi All

Im a newbie to Arch Linux..

I have been playing with Gentoo for about approx 1 year all my machines are Gentoo.. So I am very familiar with open-RC but System-D is a brand-new ball game and learning curve but I do pick things up real fast according my gentoo mentor...   I bought a new laptop had nothing but issues with it and Gentoo so I decided to try Arch since there always seem to be help on the internet for it and allot of the arch stuff has actually helped me out with my gentoo systems & server.. but I need a change of pace So far I am enjoying arch Linux a go.. and so far enjoying it allot.. anyways don't want to bore you so I had better get out to the forum and ask my questions that I have not been able to figure out by searching the forum and reading the Wiki...

Oh by the way... where did the beginner installation manual go .. I navigate to that menu and I get a black page with a header..

thanks all I hope to become a part of this community in the near future..

talk to you soon
Mike

#5567 2016-09-30 23:48:58

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Oh by the way... where did the beginner installation manual go .. I navigate to that menu and I get a black page with a header..

It's merged to the Installation guide. However, if you can click a link or two, it's perfectly adequate to a beginner. wink

Last edited by Alad (2016-09-30 23:49:23)

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#5568 2016-10-01 15:49:19

branthebuilder

Official hello.  Installed Arch last week after years of using Linux.  Started with Mint as a refugee from Vista.  Shopped around a little once I got comfortable with Mint.  Eventually moved to Manjaro, which I have loved.  Pacman makes life so easy.  Installed Gentoo/Funtoo a couple of times just to see if I could.  Hated the process.  Installed Arch last week because I finally built my first machine from components and felt I should do the same with the OS.  Followed the guide with only a couple hiccups -- one big error on my part installing the wrong Nvidia driver.  Other issues stemmed from also moving to btrfs for the first time, not getting an arch.conf entry when running bootctl install and spending hours trying to figure out what was missing.  (As a side note, the install guide might want to include the tip to try adding 'initrd=initramfs-linux.img' to the options line of the arch.conf in loader/entries/.  Also should mention that sometimes using fdisk to format the EFI partition does not work (in the sense that it does not get recognized as ESP when trying to install the bootloader) and the combo of gdisk and cgdisk is required.  Looking forward to learning more as things go on.  Currently trying to figure out why suspend to RAM does not work consistently.

#5569 2016-10-02 17:37:05

picktrick

Hello all smile
I'm fairly new to linux and have been using arch for a few weeks now. I feel really excited becoming part of community. I have learned alot about linux through arch and I'm sure with such an amazing community, learning linux and programming will be fun smile
Thank you for this amazing distro.
I will definately contribute in every possible way I can.

Cheers!

#5570 2016-10-03 01:28:44

lsatenstein

Hi from Montreal Quebec, Canada

I am Leslie

I worked in IT for 55 years and took retirement 4 years ago 2012).  I started with Linux as a passion/hobby.
I was sold on Fedora Linux, but lately, feel that it's time for a change.
I am looking for a distribution that offers a complete desktop, and I expect that with arch, I can add free and non-free software to create the desktop that meets my interests and needs.

I have written a few utilities (in C) and when I get to know more about arch, will look to share them.

So, I am here to learn and have fun while learning.

#5571 2016-10-03 03:15:10

Texbrew

I worked in IT for 55 years

Wow! That has to be an interesting story. Perhaps you will find an opportunity to share the highlights.

Welcome aboard, one and all new members from just another member.

tex

#5572 2016-10-03 14:30:19

Vargonymous

Hello arch community!

I'm a Comp. Sci. student and after two years of uni I decided it was time to get a little more fluid in Linux, to try and get from a "basic user" to a "power user" as they call it.
So far so good! I'm enjoying arch a lot after the initial frustration of nothing working the first time you set it up, but there's still a lot of work to do. It's easy to spend hours upon hours with all the customization that is possible.

#5573 2016-10-05 16:29:45

roman

Hello everyone.

I am installed Arch Linux so many years ago and I found usefule this forum for a lot of tasks.

Nowdays I have Arch Linux installed in a MacBook Pro 13" Retina early 2015. I do not like MacOS but I did not find a hardware laptop machine like this. I tried with a Dell XPS but it was a frustrating experience because a some problems with it.

Anyway, I have a great machine with a great operating system with a great distribution.

Regards.

#5574 2016-10-05 19:53:13

AlexIL
Website

Hello guys!

I've installed arch a few times by now. First time was on a virtual machine and it took me days to properly install it.
I have also installed other distros like ubuntu and lxubuntu but arch was it for me.
As a guy that like to know what he's doing and doesn't care to dirty his hands a little bit I found this distro a pleasure to install, even though sometimes troubleshooting gives me a headache (but I'm getting better at it!).
I usually install arch on a dual boot with windows and switch back to windows after a while because of not being satisfied with some things.
This time I have a very nice setup and I hope to stay with this one for a while.
I have my dotfiles on github, feel free to look at them.
I uploaded a few packages by now to the AUR and I hope to contribute more on the feature.

Peace!

#5575 2016-10-09 21:52:24

rickyscott

Hello everyone! My name is Ricky, here from Texas. I love Linux. I got out of the military and worked a few jobs, then decided to go back to school. I am almost finished with my Networking Certs.

I chose Arch because I wanted a distro that would allow (or force?) me to understand the bare bones of the operating system. Before, I was mostly on Debian Jessie (Wheezy before that). I've messed with a few distros here and there, but none of them ever felt right.

Since installing Arch, I really feel like I am learning so much more than I ever could otherwise. I have always had issues with little things not working (screen brightness, volume, wifi, etc), but with Arch, I got everything working with very little effort thanks to the amazing Arch community and Wiki.

I am still working on becoming proficient with packages, but I am definitely getting there. I haven't booted into another distro since installing Arch, and I don't think I need to. I'm working on a new desktop build and have officially decided that Arch is going to be my primary OS on that as well.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and learning with (and from) all of you!

Board footer