You are not logged in.

#1 2016-08-27 21:54:07

Cavsfan

[SOLVED] Supertux2 bombs since last update

I don't think it was the update that did it, although it didn't do this before that.
But, everytime I try to play Supertux it will play certain levels and then I go to the next and it just disappears.

Like this is from playing Yeti's Revenge and it won't even play the first level. It bombs and disappears.
I would think that if this was happening to any more than just me there would be a bug but I haven't seen any.

$ supertux2
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
[WARNING] /build/supertux/src/supertux-0.4.0/src/util/log.cpp:97 
[TINYGETTEXT] levels/monde/en.po:15: error: expected 'msgid': #: levels/monde/info
[TINYGETTEXT] levels/monde/en.po:15: error: expected 'msgid': #: levels/monde/info
[SQUIRREL] default.nut loaded
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
libpng warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
libpng warning: Interlace handling should be turned on when using png_read_image
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have had several kernel updates, nvidia driver updates and it still happens.
I have an older nvidia card, and I've tried removing and re-installing the driver and that did nothing to fix the problem.

Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G92 [GeForce 9800 GT]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 9800 GT/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 340.96

It's basically the only game I play.
Right now I have a couple extra partitions one with Xubuntu 16.04 on it and it runs fine there, but I want it to work on my Arch system.
If anyone has a clue as to what my problem is I would kindly appreciate the help.

Last edited by Cavsfan (2019-08-29 19:53:48)

#2 2016-09-06 21:13:35

Cavsfan

Re: [SOLVED] Supertux2 bombs since last update

I just played the default game and it crashed when it started, then I started it from terminal and it crashed (disappeared) after about 4-5 levels.

$ supertux2
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

I have jack2 installed but not jack, so I don't why it is saying that.

$ pacman -Qs jack
local/jack2 1.9.10-4
    The next-generation JACK with SMP support

The jack message is the only difference between playing it on Arch and Ubuntu (where it never crashes).

When it crashes, it displays the Segmentation fault (core dumped) last message and disappears.

#3 2016-09-10 19:47:29

xu564856686

At the level "A Fork in the Road" it always crashes with a segmentation fault error:

connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed

This is most likely the developer's error.

#4 2016-09-11 16:40:43

Cavsfan

xu564856686 wrote:

At the level "A Fork in the Road" it always crashes with a segmentation fault error:

connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed

This is most likely the developer's error.

Thanks for the reply and glad it's not just me. I tried searching for someone else complaining about it and didn't see anything.

It started happening after the most recent update and hopefully, the next update will fix it.
I have to login to Xubuntu just to play the game since it doesn't crash ever there.

Luckily I like to have multiple installations on this pc.

#5 2016-09-15 15:53:47

Cavsfan

I found where someone else was having Segmentation faults here and there and since they had an Intel processor, like me, 
they installed intel-ucode and added /boot/intel-ucode.img to the grub boot line. It seemed to help their problem.
I found it here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode

Rebuilt the kernel, updated grub and tried Supertux2. It paused for a few seconds, then it crashed with a Segmentation fault at level "A Fork in the Road".
So, I removed it all.

I guess I'll just wait on the next update to supertux to see if that fixes this. *sigh*

#6 2016-09-21 14:28:56

Cavsfan

Here is the bug for this problem FS#50768.

If you are having the same problem add yourself to the bug. There are currently only 2 of us on it.

#7 2016-09-29 20:21:05

Cavsfan

This problem was fixed with the new release of supertux 0.5.0-2
Some sounds were also added making it much nicer.

Board footer