You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-28 12:52:20

Velociraptor_sb

Total freeze after keyboard replug and/or keyboard passthrough to qemu

Hi everyone,

So i have managed to setup a gpu passthrough and everything works tiptop but when i attempt to passthrough my keyboard everything totally freezes, i cant even shutdown arch and then would be forced to force shutdown by holding the power button . please note that independent of qemu this happens also on arch when i try to manually remove the usb cable of the keyboard and replug it back in .at the moment where i remove it everything is still controllable i can still move my mouse , but when i replug it the keyboards logo lights up but the OS totally goes into a freeze

i am running the following kernel with the i915 arbiter patch and acs override enabled

4.4.20-1-vfio-lts

i am not sure what other information you guys would need as on a first glance i havenot seen any errors on dmesg or journalctl that relate to the problem.

and also  my keyboard is a sharkoon skiller , could it be that this gaming keyboard that i inherited from my old windows setup be causign the problem ?

I would greatly value your input .

thanks in advance

Last edited by Velociraptor_sb (2016-09-28 13:12:21)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel Core i7-4770 || kingston hyperX 1600Mhz 32Gb(8Gbx4) DDR3-CL10 || MSI B85M-G43 || Gainward Nvidia GTX 680 Phantom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 2016-09-28 16:34:59

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Total freeze after keyboard replug and/or keyboard passthrough to qemu

If you have another *simpler* keyboard, please give it a try.

#3 2016-09-28 17:48:15

Velociraptor_sb

A simpler keyboard causes no problems and can be plugged in and out without any freeze whatsoever, i thought maybe someone had a similar issue and that it maybe solveable but i guess im gonna have to  switch the keyboard.

Any suggestions for a keyboard that is versatile (programming/gaming(multimedia keys)) and at the same time ergonomic ?

Intel Core i7-4770 || kingston hyperX 1600Mhz 32Gb(8Gbx4) DDR3-CL10 || MSI B85M-G43 || Gainward Nvidia GTX 680 Phantom

#4 2016-09-29 16:29:18

x33a
Forum Fellow

I just wanted to confirm if it was indeed an issue with that specific keyboard.

As for suggesting a keyboard, try searching on the internet for one which suits your needs, but do try to find -if possible- whether it will be compatible with linux or not.

#5 2016-09-30 06:53:10

Velociraptor_sb

Yes it was an issue with the Sharkoon skiller , a simpler keyboard plugs in and out just fine. in fact the new dell keyboard i bought worked just fine no problems whatsover.

thanks alot for your replies

Board footer