You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-28 18:54:36

bobadigo

[SOLVED] MTP problem

Hello guys.
I have a problem connecting my Samsung Galaxy S5 to my PC. When i plug it, i have read privileges only, and i can't edit or write anything. How can i fix it?

Last edited by bobadigo (2016-10-03 14:50:02)

#2 2016-09-28 19:50:32

loafer

Re: [SOLVED] MTP problem

What have you tried?  With what results, errors etc.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#3 2016-09-30 14:17:54

bobadigo

I tried with mtpfs and kio-extras (beacause I'm using KDE), but i can't view write or edit normally, using Dolphin. I also checked out android-file-transfer, and it worked, but it is a separate application, and I prefer use the same.

#4 2016-09-30 14:48:21

yousuc
Website

Have you installed ntfs-3g?

sudo pacman -S ntfs-3g

Install and reboot and try connecting your phone again.

#5 2016-09-30 15:11:00

V1del
Forum Moderator

yousuc what for? The whole point of MTP is to be independent of the underlying filesystem, there's no way ntfs-3g will help (+ the fact that there's most likely an ext4 file system on the phone... which can't be accessed with normal means, life is sad).

@bobadigo Make sure your phone is unlocked and preferably kept that way while you plugged it in, make sure mtp is selected on the phone, make certain that there are no conflicting services use ONLY kio-mtp or ONLY mtpfs between tries, close any media player that might provide MTP support, don't try to flipflop bad things will happen, since MTP only allows one single interaction at one time and will keel over hard as soon as anything concurrent goes on, check in dmesg for any error messages.

Last edited by V1del (2016-09-30 15:15:50)

#6 2016-10-01 19:33:45

bobadigo

V1del wrote:

yousuc what for? The whole point of MTP is to be independent of the underlying filesystem, there's no way ntfs-3g will help (+ the fact that there's most likely an ext4 file system on the phone... which can't be accessed with normal means, life is sad).

@bobadigo Make sure your phone is unlocked and preferably kept that way while you plugged it in, make sure mtp is selected on the phone, make certain that there are no conflicting services use ONLY kio-mtp or ONLY mtpfs between tries, close any media player that might provide MTP support, don't try to flipflop bad things will happen, since MTP only allows one single interaction at one time and will keel over hard as soon as anything concurrent goes on, check in dmesg for any error messages.

Removing mtpfs, as you said, it works a bit better, but not completely.
Is this normal, or should other things (like rename and cut) work to?

Last edited by bobadigo (2016-10-10 13:58:50)

#7 2016-10-02 23:29:18

V1del
Forum Moderator

This looks normal, one thing I see that you are currently accessing your phone via the camera: (PTP) protocol, you will only be able to transfer pictures that way. Make sure your phone (there's a notification that pops up on newer android systems) is set to MTP / file transfer, your dolphin should show mtp: as the protocol being used. Furthermore, you can't write to the root folder, try one of the subfolders. That rename doesn't work is as designed (MTP doesn't allow it, you'd have to copy the file to your system, rename it there, and copy it back) same principal for cut (you can't move and write a file in the same operation) sure dolphin devs could have written wrapper functions to behave differently when on an MTP device but maybe thought it better to disable instead of breaking expectations. As you can see, MTP is a incredibly limited protocol. The advantage of it being that you don't have to unmount your device, and android applications can keep accessing their files and will be notified of changes immediately (the lengthy process of scanning for new media files, if you are familiar from earlier Android versions, isn't necessary anymore.)

Depending on the amount of data you want to transfer, it might be better for your general sanity to use some form of networking mechanism (I used to use ES Explorer to create an FTP server on the phone to connect to, another alternative would be kdeconnect's sshfs implementation)

#8 2016-10-03 14:47:55

bobadigo

V1del wrote:

This looks normal, one thing I see that you are currently accessing your phone via the camera: (PTP) protocol, you will only be able to transfer pictures that way. Make sure your phone (there's a notification that pops up on newer android systems) is set to MTP / file transfer, your dolphin should show mtp: as the protocol being used. Furthermore, you can't write to the root folder, try one of the subfolders. That rename doesn't work is as designed (MTP doesn't allow it, you'd have to copy the file to your system, rename it there, and copy it back) same principal for cut (you can't move and write a file in the same operation) sure dolphin devs could have written wrapper functions to behave differently when on an MTP device but maybe thought it better to disable instead of breaking expectations. As you can see, MTP is a incredibly limited protocol. The advantage of it being that you don't have to unmount your device, and android applications can keep accessing their files and will be notified of changes immediately (the lengthy process of scanning for new media files, if you are familiar from earlier Android versions, isn't necessary anymore.)

Depending on the amount of data you want to transfer, it might be better for your general sanity to use some form of networking mechanism (I used to use ES Explorer to create an FTP server on the phone to connect to, another alternative would be kdeconnect's sshfs implementation)

Selecting MTP, it always let me the same "camera" options. But, i completely forgot kdeconnect. Installed and all works pretty good. Thanks a lot man!

Last edited by bobadigo (2016-10-10 13:59:11)

Board footer