You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-30 11:18:40

marcoscosmos

[solved]Can't upgrade - "corrupt" package signature

So I've been trying to update my system all week now - but pacman appears to be unable to validate a particular xproto file so I can't upgrade anything.

I've tried deleting the relevant file from the /var/cache/... directory just incase pacman wasn't doing it properly for some reason but that hasn't helped.

Here is (part) of the output of pacman -Syu --debug relevant to the operation (and a little before that)

debug: found cached pkg: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.13-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
debug: sig data: iQEcBAABCAAGBQJX5RcBAAoJEJRlerIPKgkreQQH/AtBisAzK3dxbPCSGLu/dc9OhMuoNr5oTrQhEMae95yWoV+2Cp2DwaSQ4g/dr52XKfdo+/TcHFwAHYvsGo+TLfxQgTuwrnGTWnPXWEvQnMQgTElgygY2yTnhZQuRc8YXv3Fu6/MIYSdYsA8AzdTMltZHk3UmkMsiDElKQrPoIqFzTR+8XSTN2UWVTthz9XKX/q88pEO+rVQCifAaHSezM2YZje2ZbU7bARfGr+45lM9eJTYXSkxZ5XhzspCxon/w65sjYQ0aoswqRZb7CFyqpUmf/c2mlrfvHb7G17eTAkijTSidSO+q2uqxk1XrinvhGbIqOM7DQ9H8cMfXbuhPV/A=
debug: checking signature for /var/cache/pacman/pkg/xf86-video-nouveau-1.0.13-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
debug: 1 signatures returned
debug: fingerprint: ADC8A1FCC15E01D45310419E94657AB20F2A092B
debug: summary: valid
debug: summary: green
debug: status: Success
debug: timestamp: 1474631425
debug: exp_timestamp: 0
debug: validity: full; reason: Success
debug: key: ADC8A1FCC15E01D45310419E94657AB20F2A092B, Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>, owner_trust unknown, disabled 0
debug: signature is valid
debug: signature is fully trusted
error: xproto: signature from "Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>" is invalid
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/xproto-7.0.31-1-any.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] y
debug: returning error 34 from check_validity : invalid or corrupted package
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
debug: unregistering database 'local'
debug: freeing package cache for repository 'local'
debug: unregistering database 'core'
debug: freeing package cache for repository 'core'
debug: unregistering database 'extra'
debug: freeing package cache for repository 'extra'
debug: unregistering database 'community'
debug: freeing package cache for repository 'community'
debug: unregistering database 'multilib'
debug: freeing package cache for repository 'multilib'

What else should I be trying here?

Last edited by marcoscosmos (2016-10-01 01:43:50)

Reality can change as easily as the way you care to see it.
An answer, static in nature as it is, refers to one frozen snapshot of that reality. It's value can only go down.
Questions on the other hand seem to keep up with the dance and if anything, their value can grow.
-- Kostas Kiriakakis' comic

#2 2016-09-30 11:57:34

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [solved]Can't upgrade - "corrupt" package signature

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2016-09-30 12:13:28

marcoscosmos

Ah of course, thanks!

I've re-synchronised the clock, afraid that hasn't fixed the problem though.

An answer, static in nature as it is, refers to one frozen snapshot of that reality. It's value can only go down.
Questions on the other hand seem to keep up with the dance and if anything, their value can grow.

#4 2016-09-30 14:28:24

Scimmia
Fellow

Use a different mirror

#5 2016-09-30 22:57:16

ceri

Same issue here. I just manually installed (pacman -U) the package from here and the upgrade worked fine afterwards:

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/xproto/

#6 2016-10-01 01:39:17

marcoscosmos

Scimmia wrote:

Use a different mirror

I tried that (sort of) - although it's not clear what mirror pacman is using at a given time - I tried disabling the top mirror under the assumption that I wasn't getting any 404s so it hadn't switched but it certainly didn't help.

#7 2016-10-01 01:43:33

marcoscosmos

ceri wrote:

Same issue here. I just manually installed (pacman -U) the package from here and the upgrade worked fine afterwards:

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/xproto/

Alright, I've done that, and it let me do the full upgrade now so thanks!

I'm not entirely convinced it won't just happen again next time xproto updates but hopefully it doesn't and in the meantime I'll mark the thread solved.

#8 2016-10-01 03:52:17

Scimmia
Fellow

If you were using the aarnet mirror or one that syncs to it, this is a known issue.

#9 2016-10-01 16:09:09

cirrus
Website

marcoscosmos wrote:

although it's not clear what mirror pacman is using at a given time

You could use this function to quickly see what mirrors are in use.

#Show used mirrors {archlinux}
mymirrors() {
            grep -v '^$\|^#' /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist | awk '{print $3}' | awk -F '/' '{print $3}';
} 

#10 2016-10-01 23:05:29

marcoscosmos

cirrus wrote:
marcoscosmos wrote:

although it's not clear what mirror pacman is using at a given time

You could use this function to quickly see what mirrors are in use.

#Show used mirrors {archlinux}
mymirrors() {
            grep -v '^$\|^#' /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist | awk '{print $3}' | awk -F '/' '{print $3}';
} 

Sorry my original statement was probably a little misleading.  I'm familiar with the contents of my mirror list - I only meant that pacmzn only explicitly displays a given mirror if it fails to download from it (e.g. with s 404 - which happens to me a lot)

although  I presume that it reads my mirror list FIFO, I did agree to the prompt to delete the bad file, and I did try -Syyu after reconfiguring my mirror list, I didn't have full confidence in my understanding of pacman so I couldn't rule out cache influence of some other kind in determining the exact source of the individual file.

However in hindsight it's likely that my top 2 mirrors are or relate to aarnet. (I'll check next time I'm at my computer).

Thank you though - I never realised you could write functions of that form in bash. I'm going to have to look into bash further  (and awk for that matter)

Board footer