You are not logged in.

#1 2006-05-22 16:00:47

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

blogging solutions

Alright, I'm opening up a big can of worms here, because I know I'm going to produce posts like "hey, I use XYZ kthxbye", but hopefully the SNR will be high.

I have been looking, for a while, for a decent blogging solution that *suits me*.  My requirements are simple.  I don't want to do a lot of fidgeting and things.  I want it to be simple, at the code level.  Static files are a plus, as I just like it more than a DB solution.

I started with Wordpress.  It's good, but overly bulky, does way too much, and has too much WYSIWYG type crap.

I tried, and liked, Textpattern quite a bit.  Problem is it requires a lot of work to maintain and keep looking snappy.  That's not what I'm looking for.

I've also tried Pivot, which I liked alot, but I'm beginning to think that's too much for what I need too.

Recently I've been looking into the "bliki" options.  That is, wiki software, used as a blog. [ See here ].  I like it, but it's a bit fussy to get started.

Now.  Any of you out there that know about such things, let me know what you'd suggest.  I've been thinking about trying moinmoin as a blog, and may do that later today.

Thanks in advance for your input.

#2 2006-05-22 16:17:52

codemac
Website

Re: blogging solutions

Considering I've used everything you've listed... I have no idea what you are looking for.  If you can be more descriptive about what you don't like about wordpress, textpattern, and pivot, maybe we can filter out what you are looking for.

#3 2006-05-22 16:58:25

Chman
Website

Have you tried DotClear ? Never used it myself but maybe it'll suit your requirements. I heard it's lighter than wordpress...

#4 2006-05-22 17:17:46

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Hmmm, it's hard to describe, which is why I went sort of "by example".
Wordpress is just too.... much.  50 admin pages, wysiwyg editor, a pain to change anything minor...
Textpattern requires too much setup work with all their sections and pages and forms and whatnot.
Pivot requires extra work to make sure pages are generated and things.

I just want simple.  Like my idea for "retroblog" - an apache dir listing of text-files, sorted by date.

#5 2006-05-22 18:26:40

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

phrak..since your requirements are indeed so simple..it might be easier to just write something to do it.
something simple..
if all you want is a really really simple text file parse and render..i could even help you write it.... your language of choice. wink
if by language of choice you choose python, php, or ruby.
wink

web.py? wink

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#6 2006-05-22 20:27:04

tomk
Forum Fellow

If I understand him correctly, iphitus has already written something like this - although he is using sql.

#7 2006-05-22 20:46:46

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

indeed. seems it is a local thing, that posts to a site for him..or something...

iphitus! what does it do?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

Board footer