You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-05 15:16:18

STREBLO

Installing from an existing system using arch-chroot

If I wanted to install to another drive on my system, the instructions in install from existing linux describe how to download arch-chroot and go into a bootstrap system, then install the packages you need to do the installation, set up your mount points and arch-chroot into the mount points and do the install. If I have installed arch-install-scripts do I not have everything required to do the install without downloading the bootstrap image and using arch-chroot there? Do I actually need to download the bootstrap image and mount my partitions inside it?

What I mean is right now it says to only mount your partitions inside the bootstrap, can I not mount my partitions to a directory in my main system,  and simply pacstrap into the directory as described in the installation guide, then follow the guide from chroot into the system?

Last edited by STREBLO (2016-10-05 22:06:18)

#2 2016-10-05 16:56:35

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Installing from an existing system using arch-chroot

What are you trying to do?

Install a new drive?
Create a new installation?
Fix an existing installation?

Your questions are somewhat disjointed.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2016-10-05 18:46:00

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

STREBLO wrote:

can I not mount my partitions to a directory in my main system,  and simply pacstrap into the directory as described in the installation guide, then follow the guide from chroot into the system?

Yes, you can.

#4 2016-10-05 22:08:05

STREBLO

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
STREBLO wrote:

can I not mount my partitions to a directory in my main system,  and simply pacstrap into the directory as described in the installation guide, then follow the guide from chroot into the system?

Yes, you can.

Thanks! How come the wiki describes downloading the bootstrap when it isn't necessary?

#5 2016-10-05 22:30:38

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

The instructions for using a bootstrap image are in the "From a host running another Linux distribution" section. Granted, the headings are easy to miss, but the wiki doesn't say you need a bootstrap to install from Arch, only from another distro. The "From a host running Arch Linux" section is all you need.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2016-10-05 22:39:05)

#6 2016-10-05 22:58:26

STREBLO

2ManyDogs wrote:

The instructions for using a bootstrap image are in the "From a host running another Linux distribution" section. Granted, the headings are easy to miss, but the wiki doesn't say you need a bootstrap to install from Arch, only from another distro. The "From a host running Arch Linux" section is all you need.

Ahhh, I see. That makes more sense. Thanks.

#7 2016-10-06 02:54:02

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

STREBLO wrote:
2ManyDogs wrote:

Also, if you think there's a way to make this clearer, then feel free to join in the wiki talk on that page!

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2016-10-06 03:15:39

STREBLO

ngoonee wrote:
STREBLO wrote:
2ManyDogs wrote:

Also, if you think there's a way to make this clearer, then feel free to join in the wiki talk on that page!

Maybe I will, or maybe i'm just a little dense.

Board footer