You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-11 00:49:31

tmiddleton

xorg mouse button delay and missed button events

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my mouse button?

I've noticed for a while that it seems to be very common in Arch for mouse button presses to get lost/not registered. This isn't a strange HID device - it's a standard MS optical wheel mouse. And it's the standard left button. And the mouse works as expected (no dropped button clicks) in Windows and OSX.

I've been wondering for a while why Arch/Gnome seems to be dropping my mouse button clicks, but today I noticed that it seems to be related to the speed of the ButtonPress/ButtonRelease. From looking at xev, it seems that if I press the button for less than 100ms, xorg doesn't register a ButtonPress/ButtonRelease. The only way I see ButtonPress/ButtonRelease is if there's a 100ms+ delay between them.

This is super-annoying. Does anyone know what might be going on? And how to stop this madness?

#2 2016-10-11 01:05:36

tmiddleton

Re: xorg mouse button delay and missed button events

Hmm...maybe I'm wrong about this. I can see some mouse clicks getting through with ~40ms between the ButtonPress/ButtonRelease. So I guess it doesn't have anything to do with the release time?

Still, it's super annoying losing about 1/3 of my button presses. Is anyone else experiencing this?

#3 2016-10-11 07:38:56

seth

Re: xorg mouse button delay and missed button events

Did you try a different mouse? The device might not be strange, but possibly just broken?
Just saw the windows/osx mentioning.

sudo cat /dev/input/mouse0 to see whether the click & releases arive on the kernel layer.
And please post your Xorg.0.log

Last edited by seth (2016-10-11 07:41:43)

Board footer