You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-09 15:02:32

paumanok

Trouble with Gnu Octave

Hi, I've been having some real trouble with  Octave under arch. I need to use functions such as soundsc(xx,tt) to synthesize some signals for class work but it's not working as it should. I first tried the Octave package from the official arch repo, but this binary version aparently wasn't compiled with a switch for PortAudio. So when I attempt to test a signal, Octave returns that I don't have PortAudio installed, despite most certainly having it on my system.

So then I tried Octave-hg from the AUR, and after many attempts due to trouble with my internet connection, I was able to get all the source and after hours, Octave built. When I started this, the octave gui could no longer open an editor window. It seems to be an option in the 'window' dropdown, but it still refuses to open.

I don't have a lot of time for trial and error rebuilding and testing and I was wondering if anyone else had issues like these. I don't usually use the GUI for Octave but the nature of the project I'm working on means it helps a lot for my work flow.

If anyone has experienced similar issues, help would be extremely appreciated.

#2 2016-10-09 15:20:06

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: Trouble with Gnu Octave

You could rebuild the same version of octave that is in the repos while making sure portaudio support is included, for that you should look into how to use ABS.

That said, if the only problem is octave not opening an editor, use any text editor you like. If you are short on time use whatever works, even if not the most convenient solution.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2016-10-11 15:11:32

paumanok

Re: Trouble with Gnu Octave

R00KIE wrote:

You could rebuild the same version of octave that is in the repos while making sure portaudio support is included, for that you should look into how to use ABS.

That said, if the only problem is octave not opening an editor, use any text editor you like. If you are short on time use whatever works, even if not the most convenient solution.

I'll look into ABS, that's probably the solution I was looking for. Thank you.

Board footer