You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-11 01:25:10

ASG16_4

[Solved] "Network is Unreachable" even with DGW and nameservers set

Hi everyone,

I seem to have a problem with my network config. I am unable to connect to my LAN despite having the default gate way set to 192.168.1.1 and the name servers being set to googles own 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.7.7. I tinkered a bit and somehow got it working. But then I rebooted my PC to see if the fix would stick and of course it did not. Due to the fact that I cannot provide any logs (since I have no internet) all I can really think about supplying is this picture I took on my phone. It's 12MP so I didn't wanna blow up the page so I posted it on imgur.

https://imgur.com/HxeZJjk

Any insight on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! smile

Last edited by ASG16_4 (2016-10-12 00:16:58)

#2 2016-10-11 07:00:34

ayekat

Re: [Solved] "Network is Unreachable" even with DGW and nameservers set

Hi and welcome to the Arch Linux forums!

I am unable to connect to my LAN despite having the default gate way set to 192.168.1.1 and the name servers being set to googles own 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.7.7.

A couple of things:

• `lo` is called the "loopback interface" and is always there and assigned 127.0.0.1. It has no real use for networking to the outside world.

• Consequently, your wireless interface is probably not listed in that output (assuming that `eno1` is your ethernet interface).

• You need an IP address (every device has a MAC address, so that's no indication about network connectivity).

• Google's secondary DNS is 8.8.4.4, not 8.8.7.7 tongue

The easiest would be to get an address (and route/gateway configuration) via DHCP. If it still doesn't work, post the output of `ip address` and `ip route` (and the content of /etc/resolv.conf) when you've set up something, and we can work from there.

ASG16_4 wrote:

But then I rebooted my PC to see if the fix would stick and of course it did not.

Yes, unless you enable a service that manages your network, nothing will start up for that.

Last edited by ayekat (2016-10-11 07:01:56)

pkgshackscfgblag

#3 2016-10-11 15:40:27

ewaller
Administrator

The good news is that your device has a carrier (It does not say NO-CARRIER).  That means the Ethernet cable is attached and there is connectivity to your router.

As ayekat says, just try getting a dynamic address -- just run dhcpcd and see what happens.   If it works, then we can help you decide what service to use to manage it automatically.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2016-10-11 19:35:44

ASG16_4

Is dhcpcd supposed to fix the problem by assigning me an IP address? I'm currently at college right now so I can't access my system right now. Anyways I talked to my CNST (Computer Networking Systems Technician) (I know it sounds ironic that a CNST student is having trouble with networking, but please don't be mad at me... I just started my program and I don't know jack shit.) instructor and he said that it sounds like I don't have an IP. Everything is set my when I call for a ping the can send it out but I don't ever get a response because my machine doesn't have an IP of it's own for the servers to respond back to. He also mentioned that running dhcp should fix it. But in the case that it doesn't stick would you all be able to help my setup a service that manages my network? I will be able to try this all out when I come home from college around 16:00 or 15:00 PST

#5 2016-10-11 20:13:10

loqs

ASG16_4 wrote:

IEverything is set my when I call for a ping the can send it out but I don't ever get a response because my machine doesn't have an IP of it's own for the servers to respond back to.

How do you know the ping is actually sent out?  Without an assigned address the system should not be able to even send a standard icmp ping (with the exception of using the loopback interface ayekat already covered.
I think ayekat has already provided links that answer the rest of your questions or have other links on those pages that do.

#6 2016-10-11 20:43:43

ewaller
Administrator

If you run dhcpcd as root, it will spew forth data that tells what it is doing.  In the end, if everything goes well, you will have been assigned an IP address. In all likelihood you will be able to ping the server (unless the server elects not to respond).  I want to see if that works. If is does, then you can do a systemctl enable dhcpcd and it will launch the daemon as a service in the future.  If you really want to get fancy, there are other services that do a better job of detecting the cable being attached and detached.  For example systemd-networkd, or ifplugd.  But, walk first -- then run.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2016-10-12 00:04:53

ASG16_4

http://i.imgur.com/2w7ePi0.jpg

I think a picture says a thousand words so here is the log of enabling dhcpcd. But as you can see when trying to run a "systemctl enable dhcpcd" I get an fstab error. Do I need to delete it and generate a new fstab?

Edit: After installing ifplugd the network was able to configure itself on the next boot. Although I am still interested as to why I am getting an fstab error. Anyways I will mark this post solved but will still accept any knowledge about that fstab error i'm getting.

Moderator edit:  Converted over sized image to url tags https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … s_and_code

Last edited by ewaller (2016-10-12 20:57:08)

#8 2016-10-12 18:47:08

ayekat

ASG16_4 wrote:

[...] will still accept any knowledge about that fstab error i'm getting.

As long as we don't see that fstab, only one of our 0 local magicians will be able to help.

/me patiently waits for the magician...

pkgshackscfgblag

Board footer