You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-13 08:48:47

mikaelbrun

[SOLVED]News feed

Hello everyone!

What's up with the news feed?

The latest news is the TeXLive dated 2016-08-06. Why isn't there more news?

A lot of news about linux I get from phoronix and gamingonlinux, but I would like to see more Archlinux spesific news.

I am not a news reporter or journalist, and I don't write perfect english. My programming skills are still on a minimum (working on it), but is
there some way I can help? I want more updates about what is happening in the arch repo and community.

-Mikael

Last edited by mikaelbrun (2016-11-01 09:29:03)

#2 2016-10-13 10:07:58

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED]News feed

The news is for usually for problematic updates and notifications of pending changes. No news, as they say, is good news.

What sort of updates are you wanting? You can track which packages have been updated recently using the RSS feeds. You can see what the devs have been discussing by reading arch-dev-public. You can see what development/discussion has been done regarding pacman by reading pacman-dev. Etc..

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2016-10-13 11:19:57

mikaelbrun

When I enter the archlinux.org, and the see a field for news, I kind of expect to find news that is directly connected to the archlinux distro.
Like kernel updates, mesa updates, xorg upates and so on. Maybe the conclusion of the pacman-dev's and arch-dev's.

A news field needs to have news from "today" not last year.

#4 2016-10-13 11:21:22

Raynman

#5 2016-10-13 11:25:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

mikaelbrun wrote:

Maybe the conclusion of the pacman-dev's and arch-dev's.

There conclusions on what exactly?  There personal views on politics or social trends?  I trust and respect the work these people do on software, but quite frankly I couldn't care less about there personal views on other topics.  And If I want to know their conclusions on software issues, I can just look at the software available (or not) in the repos: their work speaks for itself on these topics.

mikaelbrun wrote:

A news field needs to have news from "today" not last year.

Having news just for the sake of having news would assure only a massive decay of the signal to noise ratio so important information would be missed by people who don't follow the news every day.

And do you really want a news item every time a package is updated?  Just check pacman.

There are other outlets for other information - you've been given links to them in the above posts.  The news feed is for critically important information for arch linux users without any fluff or "social media" filler.  Consider the news feed more like the Emergency Broadcast System, not the Today Show.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2016-10-13 11:46:51

Allan
Pacman
Website

We do nothing important the vast majority of the time.

#7 2016-10-13 12:24:37

mikaelbrun

I think you misunderstood the conclusion part, Trilby.

I guess I am little bit different i guess, but I think that news like linux 4.8 is in testing, is interesting, and when to expect it as default kernel in archlinux.
And I don't want the news field to be a facebook update notice thing, but I believe there is some work going on both in the comunity and in the development.
As mentioned earlier, I a don't know much of programing, but I have managed to install a stable installation of archlinux. And since I am not able to do anything positive
in the development part, doesn't mean I am not interested in what I can expect (that is kind of important) in the near future. I don't want to join in to a discussion I can't
contribute positivily, but I like to read what news about what is coming, and maybe when.

And of course, not for every package in the repos, but as mentioned, important "core" packages. Like kernels, mesa, opengl. And maybe som amd, intel, nvidia stuff.

I have been following things in the linux world, but they don't say anything about when will I see it here in arch? That kind of stuff. And without going through the entire server and html structure.

I didn't mean to start a big discussion,  I just wondered why it's called news, when there aint any updates? Wouldn't annoncements been a better word, if that is the
purpose of that field?

Allan:
As I see it, making archlinux work all the time is quit important if you ask me. And specially when there is some big updates in the coresystem out there.
But ofcourse, that is my opinion.
I actually admire your (everyone that contributes) effort for the archlinux and ofcourse linux community.

My conclusion:
If I am the only one that misses some action in the "Latest News" field, we can put this dead. I guess I have misunderstood the purpose of it.

EDIT: I don't think I would get an 'A' from any englishteacher, reading this now :-)

Last edited by mikaelbrun (2016-10-13 12:28:34)

#8 2016-10-13 12:32:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

mikaelbrun wrote:

I just wondered why it's called news, when there aint any updates? Wouldn't annoncements been a better word, if that is the purpose of that field?
If I am the only one that misses some action in the "Latest News" field, we can put this dead. I guess I have misunderstood the purpose of it.

I completely agree with your first point.  I almost mentioned that in my post.  "News" is not the best description for the purpose of that feed and while this is mostly just semantics, I could certainly support a name change for clarity.

As for your second point, I doubt you are the only one that would like to see more.  Just see some discussions about the revival of the above linked "planet arch".  There is a desire for some "arch linux culture" and while I may not dive into it, I'd encourage anyone with an interest to do so.  I just like that there are different outlets for different purposes.  I think the purpose currently fulfilled by the "news" is an essential one.  If the front page news becomes more of an actual dynamic news feed and the current content of this "news" is moved to an "Arch Linux Update Bulliten" or some such, that'd be fine with me.  I'd just not want to see every communication outlet filled with non-essential information as then those who want only the essentials will be left out or be forced to filter through stuff they don't want.

It sounds like your interests really are more in line with the "planet arch" project.  I am not too familiar with that project, but last I heard they were looking for people to contribute there - I'm sure anything you could offer there would be more than welcome.

EDIT:

mikaelbrun wrote:

EDIT: I don't think I would get an 'A' from any englishteacher, reading this now :-)

I've taught writing classes at a university and I need to hit the edit button on these forums more than I'd care to admit.  I also miss many more times I should have editted further.  Good writers don't write perfectly the first time - and most certainly not in web-forum text boxes.  Good writers just spend a lot more time revising.  FWIW, I find your posts to be perfectly clear.

Last edited by Trilby (2016-10-13 12:36:20)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#9 2016-10-13 12:42:08

mikaelbrun

I will check out planet arch in the future

#10 2016-10-14 22:45:44

NoSuck
Website

Having news just for the sake of having news would assure only a massive decay of the signal to noise ratio so important information would be missed by people who don't follow the news every day.

Thank you for putting this so well.

#11 2016-10-20 13:55:54

mikaelbrun

I have been looking into the Planet Arch Linux, and it's hard to navigate. Why is the complete articles presented on the front page? Shouldn't it be more like a bulletin board with a link to the complete article?
It wasn't exactly what I was looking for anyway.

I think the news that are presented in the news box is good news (even though I don't know anything about the TeXLive, and I don't use it), and it's more of that kind of news I want :-). Now the new kernel is
alive, and that I would like to see i.e. in the news box.

If emacs comes with a new update, but no new features, I don't need to know, but if say LibreOffice comes out with a totally new design or some really big changes, then I would like to read more about it.

But if this is not a priority for this comunity, I will end this "discussion" and call it solved but not satisfied.

I will not leave archlinux.org just because I don't get the news I want where I want it :-). THIS IS STILL THE BEST CHOICE FOR ME!

Last edited by mikaelbrun (2016-10-20 13:57:20)

#12 2016-10-22 10:34:33

lothar_m

mikaelbrun wrote:

I have been looking into the Planet Arch Linux, and it's hard to navigate. Why is the complete articles presented on the front page? Shouldn't it be more like a bulletin board with a link to the complete article?
It wasn't exactly what I was looking for anyway.

Is the planet rss/atom feed not suitable for your purposes? That's the way I follow that source of "news"/content about Arch.

“Clearly, Field Marshal Haig is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin.”

#13 2016-10-22 14:03:14

ratcheer

@Allan - big_smile

Tim

#14 2016-11-01 09:28:33

mikaelbrun

lothar_m wrote:

Is the planet rss/atom feed not suitable for your purposes? That's the way I follow that source of "news"/content about Arch.

No, it's not what I was looking for. I don't use RSS or anything like that. I just want to be able to see in the front page if there is some news about the arch linux system or popular software. But I will set this as a [SOLVED] topic and move on :-)
Thanks for the replies and the discussion anyway!

Board footer