You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-10 20:17:44

allevil669

Netflix, chromium-widevine, and Qupzilla... Oh, my...

Hi all.

I have a question about Netflix playback in the Qupzilla web browser. If I have Chromium, and Chromium-widevine installed, Qupzilla will play Netflix video without so much as a single hesitation, but won't play Netflix without. I assume this is because of the Chromium-widevine plugin from the AUR. The issue I'm having is: The Chromium-widevine package is dependant on having the Chromium browser installed as well. Does anyone know if there is a way to just have the widevine plugin installed by itself?

Thanks.

#2 2016-10-10 23:32:49

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Netflix, chromium-widevine, and Qupzilla... Oh, my...

Try uninstalling chromium with pacman -Rdd. If it's useful in other browsers, I can change the dep.

#3 2016-10-10 23:57:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I tried this for qutebrowser a while back, and even with changing the dependencies, it seems chromium-widevine needed chromium installed to function: I could play videos fine in qutebrowser as long as *both* chromium and chromium-widevine were installed, but not otherwise.

I just confirmed this is still the case with chromium-widevine (and chromium-pepper-flash which probably isn't relevant) installed but chromium removed via `pacman -Rdd` I get the following error on netflix:

We cannot find all the required components to play Netflix on this device. Please visit chrome://components, locate the WidevineCdm component, and click the "Check for update" button.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2016-10-13 19:07:50

LyCC

Hi,

"Does anyone know if there is a way to just have the widevine plugin installed by itself"

Unfortunatly, not really, but what you can do is to edit the pkgbuild from aur and remove the dependencies for the widevine plugin when you are
installing it, it might work, it might not.
PS: chromium-pepper-flash is not needed (at least for me it works without), since all the "modern" browser support HTML5 videos nowdays.

All the best.

Board footer