You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-13 13:51:29

orjanp

Installing from USB. Getting two different boot screen choices.

Hi

I'm reinstalling my Arch distribution, and created an USB pen installation as described in https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/US … tion_media

The problem is that when I'm trying to install from it, I just get a black screen with four choices, as the first picture shows. And when I choose the first one, the monitor turn itself off after a few seconds. I have to "ctrl + alt + del" to reboot the computer to get the screen turned on again.

The interesting part is, when I use the same USB pen in my laptop I get the "normal" installation screen with seven choices, as the second picture shows. It boots fine.

The iso image used is archlinux-2016.10.01-dual.iso
Last time I installed Archlinux on this computer it went fine. Any idea what this could be?

http://i68.tinypic.com/1zxv0ch.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/15efkux.jpg

Mod note: Converted huge images to urls. See the CoC regarding acceptable image sizes -- WorMzy

Last edited by WorMzy (2016-10-13 18:32:24)

Ørjan Pettersen

#2 2016-10-13 14:08:31

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: Installing from USB. Getting two different boot screen choices.

The first is UEFI, the second is BIOS.

#3 2016-10-13 22:51:49

orjanp

Thanks, I suspected it was something like that. There is an option in the bios where I can choose between UEFI and normal bios, by the looks of it. But it didn't make any difference. So I just decided I had to ask.

Is there a way to avoid the UEFI screen, or do I have to find an old installation media?

EDIT: I was mistaken. The bios didn't have such an option. I read it wrong. It was PCI ROM priority, where i could choose between legacy rom and efi compatible rom. It was under the boot menu, so I jumped to conclusions.

Last edited by orjanp (2016-10-13 22:59:50)

Ørjan Pettersen

#4 2016-10-14 00:21:10

headkase

If you want a BIOS system then the option you are looking for in your firmware is "CSM," or Compatibility Support Module.  If you enable that then you will have a BIOS system.  If you disable it then you will have a UEFI system.  By the time you're at your desktop it doesn't matter where you started from.  One thing to note though is that if you boot your Arch system in UEFI mode then the non-volatile memory on your mainboard will be accessible from your filesystem.  By the standard that shouldn't matter, in how some vendors have implemented it it means that a careless delete of a file can brick your mainboard.  If you don't have a 2TB+ boot drive, or don't need more than four primary partitions on the disk then BIOS mode wins on the risk factors no matter how small.

#5 2016-10-14 01:58:27

Scimmia
Fellow

headkase wrote:

Tne thing to note though is that if you boot your Arch system in UEFI mode then the non-volatile memory on your mainboard will be accessible from your filesystem.  By the standard that shouldn't matter, in how some vendors have implemented it it means that a careless delete of a file can brick your mainboard.  If you don't have a 2TB+ boot drive, or don't need more than four primary partitions on the disk then BIOS mode wins on the risk factors no matter how small.

This is no longer true, it was fixed in the kernel a long time ago. There's no reason to avoid UEFI; it's the current and future, don't live in the past.

Board footer