You are not logged in.

#26 2016-08-22 17:30:16

pepedopolous

Re: Cannot run root apps via kdesu

A new user with a clean home didn't fix it so I did the full rollback as advised and the problem is gone!

I really want to keep the testing packages on my Skylake NUC system to I'll put up with the kdesu problem for the timebeing...

Cheers,

P

#27 2016-08-23 16:21:25

loqs

This is to try and isolate the issue to a single package / change.  It will mean a Partial_upgrades but this is for testing only and you should restore the original versions afterwards.
If you downgrade dbus to 1.10.8-1 on the system with testing enabled is the issue still present?
If you upgrade dbus to 1.10.10-3 on the system without testing enabled does the cause the issue to occur?
On the system with testing enabled if you login in as root in a separate tty before using kdesu does the issue still occur?

Edit:
missed post #11 sorry for the noise

Last edited by loqs (2016-08-23 16:30:36)

#28 2016-09-11 13:57:43

fettouhi

Same issue here on KDE5 running stable Arch Linux. Cannot launch gui apps via kdesu. Any solution in sight other than downgrading dbus?

#29 2016-09-11 14:44:09

Buddlespit

fettouhi wrote:

Same issue here on KDE5 running stable Arch Linux. Cannot launch gui apps via kdesu. Any solution in sight other than downgrading dbus?

Add dbus-launch to your exec:

$ kdesu dbus-launch dolphin

I went thru my custom shortcuts and bash aliases and added it to all of my 'root' apps.

#30 2016-10-15 15:42:55

jcag

Hi,
To allow to launch apps as Krusader or Dolphin with root privileges, you can add this to your "/etc/sudoers" file :

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

I don't understand why Manjaro KDE and Netrunner KDE do not configure by default their sudoers file like this. Linux Mint 18 KDE do it.

Excessive caution is harmful.

#31 2016-10-15 15:50:09

Scimmia
Fellow

jcag wrote:

Hi,
To allow to launch apps as Krusader or Dolphin with root privileges, you can add this to your "/etc/sudoers" file :

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

I don't understand why Manjaro KDE and Netrunner KDE do not configure by default their sudoers file like this. Linux Mint 18 KDE do it.

Because Arch ships the unmodified file from upstream. Arch users are expected to be able to edit configs, this isn't Manjaro/Netrunner/Mint.

This also has nothing at all to do with this thread.

#32 2016-10-15 16:02:04

ewaller
Administrator

jcag wrote:

I don't understand why Manjaro KDE and Netrunner KDE do not configure by default their sudoers file like this.

You would have to ask on their boards.  We would not know their rationale.

It is my conjecture that Arch does it because that is how upstream ships it.  It makes sense to me as I never want to add an attack vector without my knowing about it.  Fortunately, as you know after having installing Arch, that one of the strengths of Arch Linux is that you go in and configure things without having to depend on someone else's ideals, as you do with Manjaro, Ubuntu, Debian, et al.

As one who occasionally works on safety critical systems, I could not disagree more.

Edit: Snaked by Scimmia

Last edited by ewaller (2016-10-15 16:02:41)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer