You are not logged in.

#1 2016-09-05 20:55:53

Amanda S
Website

[Solved] Having problems to patch older Xorg

I need to patch xorg-server 1.17 but I can't install it afterwards because xf86-input-evdev is conflicting with it.

My intention is to apply this patch: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/amari … /fix.patch

So I grabbed the source of xorg-server, edited a PKGBUILD to myself [1], and created the package. However, it will not install because of xf86-input-evdev will conflict with it. That is, the xf-input-evdev from ViOLO's repo.

The error:

[root@amarildo xorg-master-1.17]# pacman -U xorg-server-1.17.4-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz                                                         
loading packages...                                                                                                                        
warning: xorg-server-1.17.4-2 is up to date -- reinstalling                                                                                
resolving dependencies...                                                                                                                  
looking for conflicting packages...                                                                                                        
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected                                                                                             
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)                                                                            
:: xf86-input-evdev and xorg-server are in conflict (xorg-server<1.18.0)
local/libevdev 1.5.4-1
    Wrapper library for evdev devices
local/xf86-input-evdev 2.10.0-1 (xorg-drivers xorg)
    X.org evdev input driver

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/amari … r/PKGBUILD

Does anyone have any idea of why it's not working? I've edited the "provides=" line and lowered the numbers, but it's still not working.

Last edited by Amanda S (2016-10-17 05:14:37)

If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough...

#2 2016-09-05 21:02:34

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [Solved] Having problems to patch older Xorg

Moving to AUR Issues...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-09-05 21:27:39

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

xf86-input-evdev conflicts with older versions of xorg-server. You need to either not use it or package an older version of it (matching with the version of xorg-server you have).

Why are you installing it from a user repo anyway?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2016-09-05 21:49:55

Amanda S
Website

I do have 'xf86-input-evdev' from ViOLO's repo, which doesn't conflict with the 'xorg-server' (1.17.4) from the same repo but does conflict with my xorg-server 1.17.4. This is a weird issue for me.

I tried compiling older xf86-input-evdev as well, but for some reason I'll end up without mouse and keyboard. It would be REALLY helpful if there was some place where I could find older PKGBUILD's for Arch.
PKGBUILD: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/amari … r/PKGBUILD

#5 2016-09-09 13:10:14

Lone_Wolf

Your xorg-server 1.17.4 probably provides another X-ABI-XINPUT_VERSION then ViOLO's 1.17.4 .

Keep in mind that those ABI versions are set in the sourcecode and changing them in the provides= is only  a cosmetic change.

It is possible (tends to be tricky though) to get older PKGBUILDs  through the svntogit web interface.

xorg-server 1.1.17.4-2

xf86-input-evdev 2.10.0-1

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2016-10-17 05:01:57

Amanda S
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Your xorg-server 1.17.4 probably provides another X-ABI-XINPUT_VERSION then ViOLO's 1.17.4 .

Keep in mind that those ABI versions are set in the sourcecode and changing them in the provides= is only  a cosmetic change.

It is possible (tends to be tricky though) to get older PKGBUILDs  through the svntogit web interface.

xorg-server 1.1.17.4-2

xf86-input-evdev 2.10.0-1

Thank you very much!

I was able to find all the other files, and compile everything https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/pack … 470e4b32f7

Initial "vanilla" compile didn't output any errors, which is great. Next is to see if the same happens after applying my patch.

[amarildo@amarildo xorg]$ sudo pacman -U xorg-server-1.17.4-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz
[sudo] password for amarildo: 
loading packages...
warning: xorg-server-1.17.4-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) xorg-server-1.17.4-2

Total Installed Size:   3.48 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      -0.07 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

I'll edit this post as soon as I'm finished.

EDIT: All we great.

Thank you smile

Last edited by Amanda S (2016-10-17 05:14:15)

Board footer