You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-18 09:29:40

zaxdan69

Problem after update failure

Hello,
I just updated the system before 2 hours and something went wrong and the disk locked. I don't know what causes this but I couldn't use the system anymore, so I reboot it using  R.E.I.S.U.B key combination.
After that I had a lot of ldconfig errors when I tried to use pacman to install or update. I solve them by reinstalling all prorgrams had error.
In that update there was an update for kernel-ck which I use and because of the failure this kernel doesn't boot any more. It doesn't find the root disk(which is correct) and the system locks. Fortunatlely I had also the default kernel which I booted from. I tried to reinstall linux-ck and I started to get error with mkinitcpio about "write error broken pipe" and also with dkms.
I completely uninstall and reinstall the ck kernel and nvidia-ck and I didn't get those errors anymore, but the kernel is still undootable.
I tried to update grub and I found that there is a problem there too. It doesn't detect any other OS or kernel anymore except the linux-ck kernel which doesn't boot.
I reinstalled os-prober but it didn't make any difference.
Can you please help find what is wrong and fix this?
Thanks in advance.

EDIT:
It also find the entry of 40-custom but doesn't detect anything else(ubuntu, debian and windows). I also reinstalled grub.

Last edited by zaxdan69 (2016-10-18 09:33:48)

#2 2016-10-18 11:01:53

Starfish

Re: Problem after update failure

Have you tried:
1.) booting in maintenance mode
2.) booting from a fresh Arch image on a stick
?

I also do not understand how you managed to update stuff if you were unable to boot...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." - Master Oogway

#3 2016-10-18 11:16:34

zaxdan69

Maintance mode doesn't work too, same error.
I can boot because I have also a general linux kernel but isn't the default. Grub doesn't recognize this kernel and all others but the kernel and the initramfs exist in /boot. So I just have to edit the linux-ck entry to change the filenames and to boot to this kernel.

EDIT:
This is the error I get when the initramfs regenerated:

(4/4) install nvidia-ck-piledriver                                   [########################################] 100%
In order to use nvidia module, reboot the system.
:: Run hooks after proccessing...
(1/1) Install DKMS modules
==> dkms install -m nvidia -v 370.28 -k 4.7.8-1-ck
/usr/bin/dkms: line 470: set: write error: broken pipe

Last edited by zaxdan69 (2016-10-18 12:07:13)

#4 2016-10-18 12:50:23

zaxdan69

Seems that mkinitcpio generates always faulty images now. I use it on the default kernel and now I cannot boot from this kernel too.
Which are the responsible packages for boot proccess to try reinstall them from ubuntu via chroot?

Last edited by zaxdan69 (2016-10-18 12:50:52)

Board footer