You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-19 09:59:07

gideonite

printing to university printer using CUPS and SAMBA

Greetings,

My uni runs a shared printing service that requires authentication via SAMBA. I've tried installing SAMBA and using a stripped down config (http://pastebin.com/GNWQhsmB). When I add the printer using the CUPS web GUI, I keep getting an error

"Session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE"

To add the printer with authentication I'm using the format

smb://username:password@server/printersharename

Not sure how to continue with this. Any pointers?

Thanks,
Gideon.

#2 2016-10-19 11:00:48

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: printing to university printer using CUPS and SAMBA

Universities usually have a seperate domain which has to be added to the connection string smb://domain\username:password@server/printersharename i.e. in my case smb://edu\username:password@server/printersharename There's also a chance that this form of connection string isn't recognized (I don't have experience with SAMBA and CUPS but e.g. CIFS mounts don't allow that form anymore and you have to explicitly define the seperate parts, in the mount options or via credentials file)

#3 2016-11-11 15:18:20

gideonite

Sorry for taking so long to respond @V1del. In the end I included "d\" instead of "edu\" and it worked. Thanks for your help!

#4 2016-11-11 15:41:53

V1del
Forum Moderator

Yeah edu was just the real life example I had on hand from my university, good to know that it was something like this, don't forget to mark as solved by prepending your initial post's title with [SOLVED] or similar.

Board footer