You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-19 16:36:20

archjoe

Create arch package using PKGBUILD from an other distro (slack)

Hi all!
I'm trying to build a slackware package for proprietary drivers of Brother HL-2030 printer.
I found a PKGBUILD on AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/brother-hl2030/

It would be very useful for me to build that package and extract it in a temporary directory to inspect its content, but I'm working form slackware. I wouldn't know how to create it starting form PGKBUILD, patches and others source files. In other words I haven't pacman here nor archlinux "makepkg" to build the brother-hl2030 package...

How could I create that package under slackware?
Maybe someone of you could build the package and upload it somewhere... what do you think about?

Thanks in advance!  smile

#2 2016-10-19 21:07:28

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Create arch package using PKGBUILD from an other distro (slack)

It's against our forum policy to provide support for other distros so we can't help you with the specifics of creating a Slackware package. However, here's an explanation of the PKGBUILD as a starting point:

The PKGBUILD is just a collection of Bash variables and functions. The packages listed in the "depends" array (if any) are runtime dependencies (and assumed to be buildtime dependencies as well). You will need to determine which packages correspond to those on Slackware. The "makedepends" array is the same but for packages only required at buildtime. You'll need those to build the package.

An important point is that makepkg assumes that you have Arch Linux's "base-devel" group installed, so those packages will not be listed in the "makedepends" array. You can find the current list of packages in base-devel here.

Once the dependencies are met, makepkg will run the following function in the PKGBUILD in order, skipping any that are missing:

prepare
build
package

Those are Bash functions that contain the exact commands that need to be run to build and install the package.

For more details, see

and related pages.

Everything beyond that should be Slackware specific so the rest is up to you. The PKGBUILD is simple so building it yourself should be easy and will be a better long-term solution than a one-time upload from someone here (if it even works at all... Arch is probably using different library versions than Slackware).

I'm leaving this thread here as a reference to others but I'm closing it as there is nothing left to discuss here. Good luck.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

Board footer