You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-21 13:19:04

andreigrig

Lower Keyboard Poolrate?

Hi all,

does anyone know how can you lower the Keyboard pool rate? I have only found information regarding the mouse pool rate, but I am sure that this is also possible.

The reason is that the KB I am using right now has 1ms pool rate and for some reason everything that is above 250Hz (4ms) is using the CPU like hell.

I am also interested if someone knows how to use the 1ms pool rates with a lower CPU impact on Linux. Or this is just how the usbhid behaves?

Thanks!

#2 2016-10-21 13:27:40

frostschutz

Re: Lower Keyboard Poolrate?

Your problem is most likely something else. Keyboards are supposed to "just work", not hog the CPU.
Do you have anything in dmesg that would point to a problem? top showing any specific processes hogging the cpu?
What is your /proc/interrupts like?

#3 2016-10-21 18:34:41

andreigrig

I have a Corsair STRAFE KB and I am also using the ckb software available on AUR. It is known that the ckb is using a bit too much CPU if animations are turn on. However, I am not using any kind of animation. The only hint I have is regarding the 1ms poll rate that was the issue with the mouse. I guess that when I close the software it reverts to a lower poll rate than 1ms. ...of course it can also be the software. Is there any way I can check the current KB poll rate?

#4 2016-10-21 22:44:10

seth

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_polling_rate

I cannot imagine why anyone would want 1ms poll rates on a keyboard, but the article describes how to check and alter poll rates for USB devices (should work beyond mice - at least if the HID supports higher rates)

#5 2016-10-21 22:54:50

andreigrig

Yes, already looked into it. It doesn't seem to work to display the KB's ivl. That works only with a mouse. I do not want 1ms poll rate, that's why I want to lower it.

#6 2016-10-22 07:11:49

seth

Of course this does work to at least query the interval - there's nothing such as a "keyboard poll rate" - the kernel doesn't really care what it polls on the usbhid layer. Whether you can set it at all, is a more complex matter.

This is however rather not your problem, because the device polling is permanent and not related to your input.

To get anywhere, I'd say you figure which process starts to load the cpu.
If the problem is the ckb process alone, it's simply a bug/lousy implementation there, not the actual poling rate.

Board footer