You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-21 21:12:02

Tairosonloa

How to enable palm detection touchpad libinput?

Hello guys,

There is a noob question, but I couldn't find what I need on the wiki. How can I enable palm detection on my touchpad with the module libinput? I want the touchpad to desactivate when typing, because I accidentaly move the cursor or do click and all the text I was typing goes to hell. BTW, I'm using Gnome 3.22 on xorg.

If you need more info to help me, like hardware specs, just tell me what to do to get that info and then give you it.

Thanks all of you for your time,
Have a nice day :)

---------------
EDIT: My touchpad is disabled while I'm typing, the problem is that before start typing, if I place my palm on the touchpad I can accidentaly move the cursor and thap in other place in which I don't want to write. So I really want to enable palm detection in order to avoid situations like that (before start typing).

Last edited by Tairosonloa (2016-10-22 11:01:18)

#2 2016-10-21 23:54:35

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: How to enable palm detection touchpad libinput?

You might want to get familiar with xinput https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/To … pabilities

You might also want to check your DE's configuration utility and see if there is an option you can toggle.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2016-10-22 10:59:19

Tairosonloa

Thank you R00kie for your help, by running as user

xinput list

I can see my touchpad is called SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad so, I run

xinput list-props "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"

to see its properties and I realize of this:

libinput Disable While Typing Enabled (304):	1
libinput Disable While Typing Enabled Default (305):	1

I have checked that in fact, if I try to move my cursor with my palm while I'm typing it doesn't work (that's fine), so I realize my problem is different and I didn't express correctly on my first post.

Before start typing, if I place my palm on the touchpad I can accidentaly move the cursor and thap in other place in which I don't want to write. So I really want to enable palm detection in order to avoid situations like that (before start typing). Will add this to my first post.

Again thanks you for your help ;)

PS I can't configure in gnome more than natural scrolling, touch to tap and two fingers scroll.

#4 2016-10-22 19:55:06

pypi
Wiki Maintainer

I don't think you can explicitly "enable" palm detection with libinput. libinput should enable this automatically (see https://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/li … eb4#n2003); your touchpad may be too small, or lying about its size (in that case, you can add it to the hardware database!). See also https://wayland.freedesktop.org/libinpu … ction.html; filing a bug upstream seems like a good idea.

Board footer