You are not logged in.

#1 2016-10-16 21:37:30

HisDudeness

[SOLVED] Wiki confirmation mail

I've created an account on the ArchWiki. However, I'm not receiving the confirmation mail. I've asked for several resends, waiting more than a week before asking this last one, but the mail still doesn't arrive. I don't have a spam folder, the address is correct, and I've successfully activated my forum account with the same email. Anybody knows what's wrong?

Last edited by HisDudeness (2016-10-23 08:13:04)

The Dude minds.

#2 2016-10-16 21:40:33

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Wiki confirmation mail

Your wiki username?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2016-10-17 11:36:47

kynikos
Wiki Admin

There is a HisDudeness account that was created on 2016-10-04.

@HisDudeness how sure are you that you typed in the email address correctly? Other users have been registering without difficulty, so the problem is hardly on our end... The problem is that whatever email address you type in Special:PasswordReset, it won't return an error if it's not actually present in the database, so the fact that you are told that MediaWiki sent an email to it might not correspond to reality.

We currently don't have an easy way to change a user's email address: there is the query way, or the extension way. Being a nitpicker, In theory there would also be the moral problem that you don't have any way to prove that you are the same person that created that wiki account, but yeah, how many people would really choose such a silly username? (Just kidding tongue ) If you PM me your correct email address and confirm which is your wiki account, I'll see what I/we can do.

Edit: An easier way would be to set a temporary password with ChangePassword.php and send it to you, but since you didn't confirm the registration I'm not sure if it would work.

Last edited by kynikos (2016-10-17 11:51:05)

#4 2016-10-23 06:36:01

HisDudeness

Sorry if it took long for me to answer, but I didn't get notified of new messages despite having subscribed to the topic (there must be a problem with my mail...). Thank you both for your answers!

@jasonwryan: yes, as kynikos supposed I'm HisDudeness on the wiki as well.

@kynikos: well, you are kidding, but you have no idea how many times I register to a site, and find the name "HisDudeness" already taken, and have to slightly change it! I wanted to be the only one everywhere, but there seem to be a lot of dudeists on the internet. Same goes for online multiplayer games.
I do not need to reset my password, I'm 100% able to log into the account. I'm just not able to confirm the address, so I can't propose any change in articles. I'm sure I typed it correctly because I actually didn't type it, it is in the chronology of inserted values in the field "email" on various sites. Then, just to be sure, I manually checked it letter per letter and there's no mistake.
The problem probably is in the mail or, better, in an incompatibility between my mail and the Arch Linux mailing system maybe, because I receive other mails just fine, but I don't receive forum notifications and, if new issues came out, the arch-announce digests.
My ISP is gmx. Are there any known issues with that?

Last edited by HisDudeness (2016-10-23 06:37:12)

The Dude minds.

#5 2016-10-23 06:44:34

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

There aren't any issues with gmx that I am aware of. Let me know if you don't get an email for this post...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2016-10-23 07:32:46

HisDudeness

Sadly, I didn't...

The Dude minds.

#7 2016-10-23 07:44:40

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

My mail is also at gmx and everything seems to work fine. Though for some reason I happen to have archlinux.org in the spam filter whitelist...

#8 2016-10-23 08:12:46

HisDudeness

I'm dumb. I checked again in the webmail, and don't know how could I miss the spam folder the first time I checked. All the Arch mails are there. I don't know why Thunderbird left that folder out anyway.
The funny thing is the creepiest and dumbest spam and fishing arrives to me, and doesn't get filtered. It just arrives in my inbox with Thunderbird's junk flag on. My spam folder contains only Arch mails. Hooray for gmx. My experience with mail.com alone was enough to make me wanting to change ISP, this just adds up.

Sorry for wasting your time... I swear I checked the webmail the first time and didn't see any spam folder. Well, all's well that Maxwell.

Last edited by HisDudeness (2016-10-23 08:13:57)

The Dude minds.

#9 2016-10-23 11:45:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

No need to change ISPs to change mail provider.  There are countless mail providers you can sign up with, a wide range of them are free.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2016-10-23 22:40:33

HisDudeness

Sorry, got terms mixed up. My mind is not fully working these days. The other ones are the real problem though.

The Dude minds.

#11 2016-10-24 06:26:43

Texbrew

I know you marked the topic Solved, but reading your thread caused me to wonder why I never got a response when  I subscribed to the "arch-announce" mailing list 13 days ago. Well, I just took a close look in my gmail inbox. The response from "arch-announce" had landed in the Promotions tab. I replied to confirm, but the 3 day limit for confirmation had expired. I subscribed again and in a minute or less the new confirmation message was there in the Promotions tab.

Argh! Not gmail's fault, I just didn't think to look anywhere but the inbox Primary tab. The good news i, I should start getting "arch-announce" messages now. The bad news is I will have to always look for them in the Promotions tab.

#12 2016-10-24 07:10:48

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

You can always write a filter rule to move messages from arch-announce to a specific folder (or "tab", whatever the thing is...)

#13 2016-10-24 20:39:09

Texbrew

lahwaacz wrote:

You can always write a filter rule to move messages from arch-announce to a specific folder (or "tab", whatever the thing is...)

Thank you. I will check into that.

tex

Board footer